Solve Car Accident at 32.7m Cliff: Help Needed!

• Thread starter avenue
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a car driving off a 32.7 m high cliff and hitting the ground 153 m away from the base of the cliff. The task is to determine the speed of the car in km/h when it drove off the cliff. The person asking for help has tried solving it multiple times and needs assistance before submitting their online homework.
avenue
I have a HW problem that says:

A car drives horizontally off the edge of a cliff that is 32.7 m high. The police at the scene of the accident note that the point of impact is 153 m from the base of the cliff. How fast (in terms of km/h) was the car traveling when it drove off the cliff?

I've worked it out like 10 times. I only have one more chance to get it wrong on my online homework.

Someone please help... :cry:
jejewitt@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
How much time did the car have to fall?
If the car is traveling at a constnat speed horizontally and it traveled 153m, how fast was it traveling in that amount of time?

I understand that the situation you are describing is a complex and urgent one. In order to solve this problem, it is important to approach it systematically and with precision.

Firstly, it is important to gather all the necessary information. In this case, we know that the car drove off a cliff that is 32.7 m high and the point of impact is 153 m from the base of the cliff. We also need to know the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.

Next, we can use the kinematic equations of motion to solve for the initial velocity of the car. The equation we will use is:

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

Where v is the final velocity (which we can assume to be 0 as the car has reached the ground), u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and s is the displacement (in this case, 153 m).

Substituting the values we know, we get:

0^2 = u^2 + 2(9.8)(153)

Rearranging the equation, we get:

u = √(2as)

Plugging in the values, we get:

u = √(2(9.8)(153))

u = √(3003.6)

u = 54.8 m/s

To convert this to km/h, we multiply by 3.6:

u = 54.8 x 3.6

u = 197.28 km/h

Therefore, the car was traveling at approximately 197.28 km/h when it drove off the cliff.

I understand that this may be a difficult problem, but with the right approach and careful calculations, I am confident that you will be able to solve it correctly. If you are still having trouble, I recommend seeking assistance from a tutor or classmate who may be able to provide additional guidance. Good luck!

1. What caused the car accident at the 32.7m cliff?

The cause of the car accident at the 32.7m cliff could be due to various factors such as driver error, mechanical failure, weather conditions, or road conditions. A thorough investigation would be needed to determine the exact cause.

2. How can the car accident at the 32.7m cliff be solved?

The car accident at the 32.7m cliff can be solved by carefully analyzing the evidence and reconstructing the scene to determine the sequence of events. This will help identify the cause of the accident and prevent similar incidents in the future.

3. What safety measures can be implemented to prevent car accidents at cliffs?

To prevent car accidents at cliffs, safety measures such as installing guardrails, warning signs, and speed limits can be implemented. Proper maintenance of the roads and vehicles can also help prevent accidents.

4. How can technology be used to prevent car accidents at cliffs?

Technology such as sensors, cameras, and automated braking systems can be used to detect potential hazards and prevent accidents at cliffs. These advancements in car safety technology can also provide drivers with warnings and assist in avoiding accidents.

5. What should be done in case of a car accident at a 32.7m cliff?

In case of a car accident at a 32.7m cliff, the first step would be to call for emergency services. It is important to stay calm and assess the situation while waiting for help. Gathering information and evidence can also be helpful for the investigation of the accident.