Starting Studies Early: Tips and Benefits for Success in School

• Thread starter BioCore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of starting to study early for upcoming classes. Reading ahead of lectures can help improve understanding and allow for better use of lecture time. Some find it difficult to study without the "force factor" of a class starting, but overall, reading ahead is seen as advantageous for success in a degree program. It is important to enjoy the process and view it as a work in progress.
BioCore
So I am about a week from starting school. I have been reading a bit from my course textbooks but nothing big or extensive. I was wondering what your thoughts were on starting studies early? Do any of you begin studying for future classes ahead of school start times or do you all just get really good (efficient) study habits and begin with the rest of the class?

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps immensely. If you have read through your notes before attending a lecture, you'll notice yourself understanding the concepts a lot better. Sometimes certain concepts cannot be understood fully until other complementary concepts have been taught as well, so it pays a lot to read through and understand something long beforehand.

I fully agree with what Defenner said. I've found that reading ahead of my lectures is one of the best ways to make use of the lectures effectively. Some of my classes move pretty fast and it can get hard to keep up, but if I've read ahead of schedule then the lectures really just act to fill the gaps on content i may have missed or had a hard time understanding.

Defennder said:
It helps immensely. If you have read through your notes before attending a lecture, you'll notice yourself understanding the concepts a lot better. Sometimes certain concepts cannot be understood fully until other complementary concepts have been taught as well, so it pays a lot to read through and understand something long beforehand.

danago said:
I fully agree with what Defenner said. I've found that reading ahead of my lectures is one of the best ways to make use of the lectures effectively. Some of my classes move pretty fast and it can get hard to keep up, but if I've read ahead of schedule then the lectures really just act to fill the gaps on content i may have missed or had a hard time understanding.

Ditto. I know that I understand something much better the second time around.

I definitely agree with you guys. But I find it very difficult to study for a class when I am not "forced to". I know I am never actually forced to, but I think you know what I mean. I call this the "force factor"!

I have tried many times to teach myself a subject or topic, but I really don't put all my effort toward trying to really understand it until class begins.

But I still think that even reading up on something thing just a little before the class starts is a great advantage over starting a class when you know absolutely what the hell you are going to be taught, or why you are learning it.

As far as doing well in your degree goes, reading over things before the lectures is really a should-do. I've come to think that's pretty much the point of lecture courses. Then you're given free reign to consolidate that topic and related topics.

As for giving good time to things in advance, i'd have said, so long as you enjoy it, that you'll really benefit if you want to do a bit more with your course. My attitude is slowly becoming: "It's all a work in progress!"

So I expect to meet things early, forget things, relearn things (a good deal quicker) and so on...

What are the benefits of starting studies early?

Starting studies early has numerous benefits, including developing stronger study habits, gaining a head start on coursework, and having a more flexible schedule to balance extracurricular activities and other commitments. Early studies also allow for more time to seek help and improve understanding of challenging subjects.

How can I successfully start my studies early?

To successfully start studies early, it is important to set realistic goals, create a study schedule, and maintain a positive attitude. Time management and organization are key, as well as seeking help and resources when needed. It is also important to prioritize self-care and avoid burnout.

What tips can help me stay motivated when starting studies early?

Staying motivated when starting studies early can be challenging, but there are several tips that can help. Setting small, achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and finding a study buddy or group can all help with motivation. It is also important to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of starting studies early, such as better grades and future success.

What are some common challenges faced when starting studies early?

Some common challenges when starting studies early include time management, balancing extracurricular activities and other commitments, and feeling overwhelmed with coursework. Other challenges may include a lack of motivation, difficulty understanding challenging subjects, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.

Are there any potential downsides to starting studies early?

While there are many benefits to starting studies early, there are also potential downsides to consider. These can include feeling burnt out or overwhelmed, having less time for extracurricular activities and social life, and struggling to maintain a balance between school and personal life. It is important to prioritize self-care and find a healthy balance when starting studies early.