Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Begin to use assembly without any programming knowledge

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    I don't know anything about programming. Is it okay if I start with assembly? And more importantly, how can I begin to use assembly without any knowledge. If you could offer me a book / website, I'd really be pleased.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Programming is a very large field.

Assembly is useful for creating fast running code that is small in size so its easy to store and easy for a processor to execute. However its generally highly optimized for a specific application to assist in maximizing those attributes. If you have a specific application, it might very well be the best choice but not necessarily to start with.

A lot of programming is done in high-level langauges so that constructs like if-then-else statements or conditional looping statements or variables to store the data in are easy to implement. Its far more likely to be useful later on to know a high-level language.

A question of what you'd like to do with the code is another thing to keep in mind, some languages are far better suited than others to certain tasks.

4 you might want to investigate would be:
    PERL - the language of CGI scripts and free to use
    Visual Basic - can be scripted for free on Windows or compiled with the MS Editor
    JavaScript - free to use within a browser or full JAVA if you want to compile it
    C or C++ - the standard code for high-level languages

Both PERL and Java have similar constructs and syntax to the C language so they are easy transitions. Visual Basic is by far the easiest as the varibles need not be declared and its case-insensitive so "X" is the same as "x" whereas in C or Java they would be different.

All of these have a tremendous amount of support available on the internet with countless examples and explanations all over the place. I'd say just search by the name of the language and "Hello World" and you should find plenty to keep you busy for some time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?