Finding a Physics Book with Comprehensive Explanation for High Schoolers

In summary, the conversation is about high school students looking for additional resources to supplement their physics textbook, which lacks in-depth explanations. They discuss various books, including "Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Karl F. Kuhn, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" 6th edition (two volumes), and Schaums guides. They also mention ordering books from Amazon, specifically "Problem Solving for Conceptual Physics" and "5 Steps to a 5: AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based." The main criteria for a good book is one that provides extensive explanations, rather than simply stating formulas.
Phantomfrk
I am still in high school taking a Physics class and honestly the book the school gave us just shows you example problems. So I was wondering if you guys knew of any good Beginning Physics books that would be good and have a lot more explanation.

All we have done so far is learned about vectors, momentum, impulse, and a few formulas about distance, velocity, and acceleration.

Our teacher doesn't really teach us so i am looking for a book with A LOT of EXPLANATION so that even I can understand this stuff

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in the same situation. I plan to order https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070257345/?tag=pfamazon01-20
for problem solving and see what i can do. I just use my school's physics book for the basic explanation; however, I am planning to buy another book about basic physics to fill in the gaps that my other physics book left behind.

Any recommendations?

Looks like we are the only high school students on this site.. lol

Last edited:
Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide by Karl F. Kuhn is pretty good for algebra based physics, which is probably what you're taking in high school.

Look for
"Physics for Scientists and engineerings" 6th edition.. there are two volumes to this
those books are really good.. the cover is blue

I'm trying to figure out what will supplement my knowledge. So far, I'm looking at these books(in order of preference) :
1.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471762504/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2.https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20
3.https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471134473/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I might order the first and second book, but I'm not sure. The self-teaching guide(3) just asserts the formula and makes you memorize it without figuring out how they derived it. I can't see why people like the self-teaching guide so much.. i read the first few pages..

I'm looking for a detailed and a comprehensive intro to physics to supplement my Holt Physics textbook by Serway and Faughin

How about those Schaums?

Is it a good choice to buy 1 and 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best way to find a comprehensive physics book for high school students?

The best way to find a comprehensive physics book for high school students is to research and compare different options. Look for books that cover all the essential topics in high school physics and have clear explanations and examples. You can also ask for recommendations from teachers, other students, or check online reviews.

What topics should a comprehensive physics book for high schoolers cover?

A comprehensive physics book for high schoolers should cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. It should also include real-life examples, problem-solving exercises, and interactive activities to help students understand and apply the concepts.

Is it necessary to have a background in math to understand a physics book for high schoolers?

Having a basic understanding of math is helpful but not required to understand a physics book for high schoolers. The book should provide explanations and examples that are easy to follow, and students can always seek help from their teachers or classmates if they have trouble with specific math concepts.

What makes a physics book suitable for high school students?

A physics book suitable for high school students should have a clear and concise writing style, use simple language to explain complex concepts, and include relevant and engaging visuals. It should also cover all the required topics in the high school physics curriculum and provide practice exercises to reinforce learning.

Are there any online resources that can help in finding a comprehensive physics book for high schoolers?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help in finding a comprehensive physics book for high schoolers. You can check websites of reputable publishers, online bookstores, and educational platforms. You can also join online forums or groups for students and teachers to get recommendations and reviews on different physics books.