Beginner astronomer - getting started

In summary, the individual is interested in astronomy and wants to learn more about the subject. They have found two recommended books and are seeking advice on whether these books are suitable for beginners and if there are any recommended video lectures to accompany their self-study. The respondent suggests brushing up on calculus, trigonometry, and algebra, and recommends joining online communities or attending local events to further their learning.
astrogerg
Dear admin, please could you move this post to somewhere else if needed/not appropriate as this is my first post.

Currently working in IT, always had a thing for astronomy when i was younger but recently interest in the subject agani buying many DVDs (universe history, bbc series, cosmos by carl sagan).

I want to dive in further with regards to maths/physics etc, but just for my own fun and not aiming to get a degree.

Looking up the astronomy distance learning course i found two books, are they good enough intro books for me/pretty easy to follow without too much math knowledge? Universe 9th edition and foundation of modern cosmology.

I read you need calculus for a large part of the study, i thought calculus was some hocus pocus but it seems it's just differentiating and integrals, correct? I did A level on high school which is the highest level here in Europe for high school, and i did differentials/integrals.

I also did trigonometry and algebra as well i believe. Physics as well but i think i forgotten most concepts.

I would just like to start with two above books (unless you guys have other recommendations) and video lectures (low on cash atm) to brush up my maths. What is the most suitable type of math / physics which i can learn from video lectures for me at this moment? Video learning is preferred so i can read an hour each day and follow a math/physics lecture. I want to see a concept, then explained in practice and that i can do it myself directly after for better comprehension. Reading too much in books is less effective for me than practical stuff and learned from a video i somehow retain this better.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for expressing your interest in astronomy and your desire to learn more about the subject. It's great to see people pursuing their interests and wanting to expand their knowledge.

Firstly, I would like to assure you that you are in the right place to discuss your interest in astronomy. However, this forum is primarily for discussing scientific research and findings. So, while your post is not inappropriate, it may be better suited for a different forum or platform that focuses on learning and education.

I would highly recommend starting with the two books you mentioned, "Universe 9th edition" and "Foundation of Modern Cosmology." They are both reputable sources and will provide you with a good foundation in the subject. However, please keep in mind that they may require some background knowledge in physics and mathematics.

As for the type of math and physics you should focus on, I would recommend brushing up on your calculus skills, as it is an essential tool in understanding astronomy. You can also look into trigonometry and algebra, as they will also be useful. There are plenty of online resources and video lectures available that can help you with these topics.

In addition to books and videos, I would also suggest joining online astronomy communities or attending local astronomy events. This will allow you to interact with others who share your interest and learn from their experiences.

I wish you all the best in your journey to learn more about astronomy. Keep exploring and never stop asking questions. Who knows, you might even discover something new and exciting! Good luck!

What equipment do I need to start stargazing?

To start stargazing, you will need a telescope, a star chart or planisphere, and a red light flashlight. A telescope will allow you to see celestial objects in more detail, while a star chart or planisphere will help you identify what you are looking at. A red light flashlight is important because it will not disrupt your night vision like a regular flashlight would.

Where is the best place to stargaze?

The best place to stargaze is somewhere away from city lights and light pollution. This could be a park, a remote area, or even your own backyard if it is dark enough. The darker the sky, the better you will be able to see celestial objects.

What is the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope?

A refracting telescope uses lenses to gather and focus light, while a reflecting telescope uses mirrors. Reflecting telescopes tend to be more popular and widely used by beginners because they are typically less expensive and easier to maintain.

How do I find specific objects in the night sky?

You can use a star chart or planisphere to help you locate specific objects in the night sky. These tools will show you the position of constellations, stars, and other celestial objects at a given time and location. You can also use a mobile app or computer program that will help you identify and locate objects in the night sky.

What are some tips for beginner astronomers?

Some tips for beginner astronomers include starting with a simple telescope, learning the constellations and their stories, joining a local astronomy club, and being patient and persistent. Stargazing takes practice and patience, so don't get discouraged if you don't see everything you want to right away.