Beginner Chemistry: How to Calculate Mg & Zn Composition in Sulfuric Acid

In summary: If you're given a mass of a mixture (5.00g), and you want to find out what percentage of that mass is Mg and Zn, your first step would be to find out what the total mass of the mixture is. In this case, 5.00g of Mg and Zn reacted together, so the reaction product is 4.50g of H2. This means that 0.50g of Mg and 2.50g of Zn were present in the mixture as a percent mass.
suspenc3
Hi, I'm pretty new to chem, I have a few questions:

Metals react with dilute sulfuric acid to give hydrogen according to:
M +H2SO4------>MSO4 + H2

when 5.00g of a mixture of Mg and Zn were dissolved in sulfuric acid 0.284g of H was collected. What was the composition of the mixture of Mg and Zn expressed as a percent mass?

im confused, what do I do when I am given that there is 5.00g of mixture?what do I do about molar mass etc...

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also don't know what to do because no formula is given for the Zinc Magnesium mixture?

suspenc3 said:
Hi, I'm pretty new to chem, I have a few questions:

Metals react with dilute sulfuric acid to give hydrogen according to:
M +H2SO4------>MSO4 + H2

when 5.00g of a mixture of Mg and Zn were dissolved in sulfuric acid 0.284g of H was collected. What was the composition of the mixture of Mg and Zn expressed as a percent mass?

im confused, what do I do when I am given that there is 5.00g of mixture?what do I do about molar mass etc...

Thanks

The question asks you to find how much of the 5.00g was Mg, and how much was Zinc. Since that's what you want to find, let's call the amount of Mg which was present initially as x gms.

The reaction given to you is

M +H2SO4------>MSO4 + H2

where, M can be Mg or Zn (ie, both Mg & Zn react the same way).

Now, find out how many grams of hydrogen was produced if x gms of Mg completely reacted to form H2. (convert x gms of Mg to gm-moles of Mg first. 1 mol of M reacts to form ___ mol of H2)
Similarly, find out how many gms of hydrogen was produced if 5-x gms of Zn completely reacted to form H2. Since the total mass of H2 formed is given, you can solve for x.

Can you take it from here?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating Mg & Zn composition in sulfuric acid?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the percentage of magnesium (Mg) and zinc (Zn) present in a sample of sulfuric acid. This information is important in understanding the chemical properties and potential uses of the acid.

2. What materials are needed for this calculation?

To calculate the Mg & Zn composition in sulfuric acid, you will need a sample of the acid, a balance or scale, measuring equipment (such as a graduated cylinder or pipette), and appropriate chemicals for the analysis (such as a titrant and indicator).

3. What is the process for calculating Mg & Zn composition in sulfuric acid?

The process involves titrating a known volume of the sulfuric acid sample with a standardized solution of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide. The volume of base required to neutralize the acid is used to calculate the acid's concentration. From this, the amount of Mg and Zn in the acid can be determined using stoichiometric calculations.

4. How accurate and precise is this calculation?

The accuracy and precision of the calculation depend on the quality of the equipment and chemicals used, as well as the skill of the person performing the analysis. With proper techniques and equipment, this calculation can be accurate and precise to within a few decimal places.

5. What are some applications of knowing the Mg & Zn composition in sulfuric acid?

Knowing the composition of sulfuric acid can have various applications in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and agriculture. For example, in agriculture, the Mg and Zn content of fertilizers can be determined by analyzing sulfuric acid samples, which can help determine their effectiveness in promoting plant growth. In industrial processes, knowledge of the composition of sulfuric acid is crucial in determining its corrosive properties and potential uses in manufacturing.