1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner in Physics

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    I am just starting college and I want to major in physics. I don't know why I am drawn to this particular field. I just am. This is the only thing I can see myself doing for decades to come.
    The only problem is that I have only taken one physics class in my life and I feel like I'm always behind everyone else no matter what. I really am trying to work hard I just feel like a huge failure no matter what.
    So, here is my question. Are there any books or reading material that I should read to get a better understanding so I don't feel like an idiot.
    People have told me on several occasions that if I'm having trouble and can't seem to grasp it, then I should switch fields. But as I mentioned, this is where I feel like I belong.
    Please, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    if you want a physics book for the BASICS, just to build a base, try Idiot's Guide to Physics.

im not joking, its an actual book, and its a very good book. If you want to get more and more knowledge, you can then jump to resnick and halliday (that will be a big jump)

and one thing, DO NOT CARE what others say, listen to yourself, work hard and enjoy life!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First year university is basically just about getting everyone up to the same level, for exactly this reason.

Your peers who have done a lot of physics before will be finding it easy, because they've seen it all before. You're finding it hard, because you haven't. That's by construction - they need to pitch the course somewhere, and you are the reason for the nature of these first year courses. Study hard, and by the end of the year, you'll be fine.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    Hello friend, i'd suggest you a channel on youtube called DRPhysicsA ( http://bit.ly/1hOwUzR ) its pretty cool and the explanation of some hard parts of physics are pretty understandable, i'm 16 year old student and i was in the same situation like you i started loving science and maths like 6 months ago...and i'm doing pretty well.To love physics yoy have to find something that inspires you and keeps your passion on, for example read scientific books not only about physics but maths also ( maths are pretty important you cant do physics if your math level is low so, if you are a high school student keep practising in maths a little bit more than physics). furthermore when u do your homework try to find more ways to solve a problem, y have to understand it deeply. hope i helped

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Thanks for the reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook