Solve Thermodynamic Problems: Ideal Gas Expansion & Energy Conservation

In summary, pchem, or physical chemistry, is a branch of chemistry that combines principles from physics and chemistry to study the physical properties and behavior of matter at the molecular and atomic level. It is important for beginners as it provides a fundamental understanding of basic concepts and principles. Some common topics in beginner pchem courses include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. To improve understanding, active engagement, problem-solving, and seeking help are recommended. Pchem also has various real-world applications in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals.
lostfan176
i really need help with my homework if people can help lead me to the answer it would be really helpful. so far i was only able to do number 1

1) If 2.00 mol of an ideal gas, initially at 1.53 atm and 280 K, is allowed to expand isothermally under
a constant external pressure of 0.920 atm until the final internal pressure is 0.920 atm, what is the
work done?
my answer: -2368 J

2) If the gas involved is ideal and the process is reversible, obtain an expression for w (work), using
our ‘regular’ thermodynamic variables, P, V, n, and T.

3) For which of these systems is the system’s energy conserved in every process: (a) a closed system;
(b) an open system; (c) an isolated system; (d) a system enclosed in adiabatic walls? Please provide
a brief explanation for your answer.

5) We showed ΔH = q for a constant-pressure process. Consider a process in which P is not constant
throughout the entire process, but for which the final and initial pressures are equal. Need ΔH be
equal to q here? (Hint: One way to answer this is to consider a cyclic process)

6) A sample consisting of 1.00 mol of a monatomic perfect gas (for which CV,m = 3/2R) is taken
through the cycle shown below. (a) Determine the temperatures at 1, 2, and 3; (b) Calculate q, w,
ΔU, and ΔH for each step and the overall cycle. If a numerical answer cannot be obtained, then
write +, -, or ? as appropriate.

oKGyc.png

7) 2.50 mol of an ideal gas with CV,m = 12.47 J mol-1 K-1 is expanded adiabatically against a constant
external pressure of 1.00 bar. The initial temperature and pressure of the gas are 325 K and 2.50
bar, respectively. The final pressure is 1.25 bar. Calculate the final temperature, q, w, ΔU, and ΔH.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
attempt on #4

a. yes matter is not transferable
b. no matter is transferred
c. yes, no interaction
d. yes adiabatic does not conduct heat

lostfan176 said:
i really need help with my homework if people can help lead me to the answer it would be really helpful. so far i was only able to do number 1

1) If 2.00 mol of an ideal gas, initially at 1.53 atm and 280 K, is allowed to expand isothermally under a constant external pressure of 0.920 atm until the final internal pressure is 0.920 atm, what is the work done?
my answer: -2368 J
Sorry to tell you this, but this answer isn't correct because the process described isn't reversible.
2) If the gas involved is ideal and the process is reversible, obtain an expression for w (work), using our ‘regular’ thermodynamic variables, P, V, n, and T.
What's the general formula for work?
3) For which of these systems is the system’s energy conserved in every process: (a) a closed system; (b) an open system; (c) an isolated system; (d) a system enclosed in adiabatic walls? Please provide a brief explanation for your answer.
Knowing how these various types of systems are defined would be a good start. What exactly is a closed system, etc.?
5) We showed ΔH = q for a constant-pressure process. Consider a process in which P is not constant throughout the entire process, but for which the final and initial pressures are equal. Need ΔH be equal to q here? (Hint: One way to answer this is to consider a cyclic process.)
Hint: What's special about state variables?
6) A sample consisting of 1.00 mol of a monatomic perfect gas (for which CV,m = 3/2R) is taken through the cycle shown below. (a) Determine the temperatures at 1, 2, and 3; (b) Calculate q, w, ΔU, and ΔH for each step and the overall cycle. If a numerical answer cannot be obtained, then write +, -, or ? as appropriate.
oKGyc.png

7) 2.50 mol of an ideal gas with CV,m = 12.47 J mol-1 K-1 is expanded adiabatically against a constant external pressure of 1.00 bar. The initial temperature and pressure of the gas are 325 K and 2.50 bar, respectively. The final pressure is 1.25 bar. Calculate the final temperature, q, w, ΔU, and ΔH.
According to the forum rules, you need to show some effort at solving these problems yourself.
lostfan176 said:
attempt on #4

a. yes matter is not transferable
b. no matter is transferred
c. yes, no interaction
d. yes adiabatic does not conduct heat
There is no #4 in your original post.

1. What is pchem?

Pchem, or physical chemistry, is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at the molecular and atomic level. It combines principles from both physics and chemistry to understand how molecules and atoms interact with each other.

2. Why is pchem important for beginners?

Pchem is important for beginners because it provides a fundamental understanding of the basic concepts and principles that govern the behavior of matter at the molecular level. This knowledge is essential for further studies in chemistry and other related fields.

3. What are some common topics in beginner pchem courses?

Some common topics in beginner pchem courses include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. These topics cover a wide range of concepts and principles that are essential for understanding the physical properties and behavior of matter.

4. How can I improve my understanding of pchem?

To improve your understanding of pchem, it is important to actively engage in the material and practice problem-solving. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Additionally, reading supplementary materials and attending review sessions can also aid in understanding the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of pchem?

Pchem has many real-world applications in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals. It is used to develop new materials, optimize chemical reactions, understand biological processes, and analyze environmental pollutants, among other things.