Beginner Physics: Solving G Constant on Planets

• Thread starter PhysicBeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary: If its looking for a qualitative answer, then you're probably supposed to use the equation above equal to ma, or in this case mg...So mg = G m1 m2/ r^2, then the masses of the object on the planet cancel out so g = G m (planet)/ (2r)^2since the radius is twice that of Earth its just 2r..then plug in the values of G and r, and I'm not sure about mass of planet. if the densities are the same, are the masses are the same? if they are, then just plug in the mass of earth...and calculate g
PhysicBeginner
Hi, everyone I'm new to physics and I got a problem that I can't solve.
It says
"What would the g constant be on a planet that has the same density as Earth but has twice the radius?"

Can someone help me on this. Also can someone tell me if I'm suppose to use the equation: Fg=Gm1m2/d(square)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new to physics too (so don't take my word for this, lol), but my guess is you set that equation above equal to ma, or in this case mg...

so mg = G m1 m2/ r^2, then the masses of the object on the planet cancel out so g = G m (planet)/ (2r)^2

since the radius is twice that of Earth its just 2r..then plug in the values of G and r, and I'm not sure about mass of planet. if the densities are the same, are the masses are the same? if they are, then just plug in the mass of earth...and calculate g

hope this helps a bit until someone smarter comes along, lol

Thanks for the tips, now i think I'm getting some of it.

PhysicBeginner said:
Hi, everyone I'm new to physics and I got a problem that I can't solve.
It says
"What would the g constant be on a planet that has the same density as Earth but has twice the radius?"
Can someone help me on this. Also can someone tell me if I'm suppose to use the equation: Fg=Gm1m2/d(square)?

If its looking for a numerical answer, I'd find the average density of Earth, find the radius, double the radius, then find the amount of mass that fits in that radius, and put all our new data for the imaginary Earth into the equation you cited at the end.

What is the G constant in physics?

The G constant, also known as the gravitational constant, is a fundamental physical constant that appears in the law of universal gravitation. It is denoted by the symbol G and has a value of approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

How is the G constant calculated on different planets?

The G constant is a universal constant and its value does not change on different planets. However, the force of gravity on a planet is affected by its mass and radius, so the value of G can be used in conjunction with these values to calculate the force of gravity on a specific planet.

What is the significance of the G constant in physics?

The G constant is crucial in understanding the force of gravity and its effects on objects in space. It allows us to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects with mass, and is essential in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and space exploration.

How was the G constant first discovered?

The G constant was first experimentally determined by English scientist Henry Cavendish in 1798. He used a torsion balance to measure the gravitational force between lead spheres and found a value that was very close to the current accepted value.

What are the units of the G constant?

The units of the G constant are Nm^2/kg^2, which can also be expressed as m^3/kg*s^2. These units represent the force of gravity between two objects with a mass of 1 kg each that are 1 meter apart.