Beginner Triangle Problem: Finding the Rate of Change of a Sliding Ladder

In summary, the problem involves a ladder 4m long leaning against a vertical wall. The bottom of the ladder is sliding away from the wall at a speed of 30cm/s and the question asks for the rate at which the top of the ladder is sliding down the wall when the bottom of the ladder is 2m away from the wall. The equation given is r^2 = x^2 + y^2 and after solving, the answer is found to be 0.15 m/s. However, after considering the meaning of the variables, it is determined that the correct answer is approximately 0.17 m/s.
General_Sax
Beginner "Triangle" Problem

Homework Statement

A ladder 4m long rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the ladder slides away from the wall at a speed of 30cm/s, how quickly is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall when the bottom of the ladder is 2m away from the wall?

Homework Equations

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

dx/dt = 0.3 m/s

dr/dt = ?

dy/dt = 0

x = 2

r = 4

y ~ 3.46

The Attempt at a Solution

I made two attempt at the question.

#1:

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

2*r*dr/dt = 2*x*dx/dt + 2*y*dy/dt

2*4*dr/dt = 2*2*dx/dt + 2*3.46*0

8*dr/dt = 4*0.3

> dr/dt = 0.15 m/s <

#2:

r^2 = x^2 + (r^2 - x^2)^2

r^2 = x^2 + (r^4 - 2*r^2*x^2 + x^4)

I'm not going to type the intermidiate steps, if you want to know how I arrived at an equation please ask.

dr/dt * [4r^3 - 2r - 4rx^2] = [ 4*x*r^2*dx/dt - 4*x^3*dx/dt - 2*x*dx/dt ]

dr/dt * [184] = [27.6]

> dr/dt = 0.15 m/s <

>.< The answer in the textbook is: sqrt(3)/10 ~ 0.17 m/s

Any suggestions as to where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Given that the formula given is r^2 = x^2 + y^2, you can assume that r is the hypotenuse. The question is asking for rate at which the ladder falls down (dy/dt). Even if a ladder slides down a wall, it is unlikely that the length of the ladder changes at all (dr/dt = 0).

Ahhh, yes that makes sense. I was confusing dr/dt with dy/dt. Thanks a bunch.

What is the "Beginner Triangle Problem"?

The "Beginner Triangle Problem" is a basic geometry problem that involves finding the missing side or angle of a triangle when given two other sides or angles.

What are the three types of triangles?

The three types of triangles are equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. Equilateral triangles have three equal sides and angles, isosceles triangles have two equal sides and angles, and scalene triangles have no equal sides or angles.

How do you find the missing side of a right triangle?

To find the missing side of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

What is the difference between acute, right, and obtuse triangles?

An acute triangle has all angles measuring less than 90 degrees, a right triangle has one angle measuring 90 degrees, and an obtuse triangle has one angle measuring more than 90 degrees.

Can a triangle have more than one right angle?

No, a triangle can only have one right angle. If a triangle has more than one right angle, it would no longer be a triangle, as the sum of the angles in a triangle must always equal 180 degrees.