1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning mathematical proof

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I originally made this thread for something else, but I have another problem that I need help with.

Suppose a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a < 1/a < b < 1/b then a < -1.

2. Relevant equations

A hint was given for the problem: Assume a < 1/a < b < 1/b. Now prove that a < 0, and then use this fact to prove that a < -1.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For b, you're missing the inequality in the triangle inequality.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    new problem bump

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4
    It's not like threads go in the landfill and pollute kindergarten playgrounds after we're done with them. No need to recycle. Make a new thread when you have a new problem.

For this problem, first think about what it means when [tex]a<\frac1a[/tex]. What values could [tex]a[/tex] have? You should identify two possibilities (two open intervals where [tex]a[/tex] could be). The second part of the inequality will let you narrow it down to one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook