1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning Physics Book

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am looking for advice on which version of Halliday and Resnick Physics to get. I am currently wondering if it would be wise to go for an early version of the text. I ask this because I've been self learning calculus from Calculus and Analytic Geometry by Thomas (Alternate ed, basically 4th) but before that I tried working with an Stewart text and completely hated the style and the lack of proofs. So in your opinion, what version of Halliday and Resnick I should get, the older the better, I hate the glossy textbook style of nowdays.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    I picked up copies of Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Physics by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane for $1 each. There are no glossy pictures (the entire text is in black, white, blue, and grey) and it's more thorough than the current Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday. You'll notice its age in some of the problems and dates, but the content is still relevant.

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Apr 11, 2012 #4
    I had the sixth edition of resnick,halliday and walker.It was good but I feel the 3rd edition was the best with many good questions now omitted and contained a bit of ''history" as well to create a background.

6. Apr 11, 2012 #5
    The 3rd edition in two separate volumes may be more comfortable to hold while reading.

Here's Part 1:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471717169/

and Part 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Physics-Part-2-David-Halliday/dp/0471345296

(The first pic is of an older edition. The 3rd ed. is green and yellow)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook