How Much Ice Does Antarctica Really Hold?

In summary, "Beginning physics check" refers to a preliminary assessment of one's understanding of basic physics concepts. It is important because it helps students identify their knowledge gaps and focus their study efforts. The topics typically covered in a beginning physics check include motion, forces, energy, and basic mathematical equations. To prepare for it, students should review their notes and practice solving problems. If they don't do well, they should use it as a learning opportunity and seek additional help.
elpermic

Homework Statement

Antartica is roughly semicircular, with a radius of 2000km. The average thickness of its ice cover is 300m. How many cubic centimeters of ice does Antartica contain? Assume we ignore the curvature of Earth.

Homework Equations

(4/3 Pi r^3h)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged r=2.0x10^8 and 3.0x10^5 and wound up with the answer 5.0 x 10^30

I just want to check if this is right. I just started my Physics course a couple days ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equation is wrong.
Area of the circle is π*R^2
Area of the semicircle is ...?

I would like to point out that the homework statement is incomplete. It does not specify the units for the radius and thickness, which are crucial for solving the problem accurately. Additionally, the equation provided is not applicable in this scenario as it assumes a perfect sphere, whereas Antarctica is not a perfect semicircle. It would be more appropriate to use the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr^2h) to calculate the volume of the ice cover. However, even with this formula, the answer may not be entirely accurate as it ignores the curvature of the Earth. To solve this problem accurately, we would need more information such as the exact shape and size of Antarctica, as well as the density of the ice. Without these details, it is not possible to provide an accurate answer. As a scientist, it is important to consider all relevant factors and use appropriate equations to solve a problem accurately. Therefore, I would suggest seeking clarification from the instructor or using more precise information to solve the problem.

1. What is "Beginning physics check"?

"Beginning physics check" is a term used to refer to a preliminary assessment or test of one's understanding of basic physics concepts and principles. It is often used as a way to gauge a student's knowledge and identify areas that may need further study.

2. Why is it important to do a beginning physics check?

A beginning physics check is important because it helps to establish a baseline of understanding for students and allows them to identify any gaps in their knowledge. This can help them to focus their study efforts and improve their overall understanding of physics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a beginning physics check?

The topics covered in a beginning physics check may vary, but they usually include basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and basic mathematical equations used in physics. It may also cover topics such as scientific notation, unit conversions, and significant figures.

4. How can I prepare for a beginning physics check?

To prepare for a beginning physics check, it is important to review your notes, textbook, and any other study materials provided by your instructor. You can also practice solving problems and equations from previous assignments or quizzes to reinforce your understanding of the material.

5. What should I do if I don't do well on a beginning physics check?

If you don't do well on a beginning physics check, don't panic. Use it as a learning opportunity and identify the areas where you need more practice. Talk to your instructor or a tutor for additional help and resources. It is also important to stay motivated and continue to study and review the material to improve your understanding.