1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning physics, please help in finding the electric field for a uniform line charg

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1
    Q:
    A uniform line charge that has a linear charge density λ = 4.4 nC/m is on the x axis between x = 0 to x = 5.0 m.
    (a) What is its total charge?

(b) Find the electric field on the x axis at x = 6 m.

(c) Find the electric field on the x axis at x = 11.0 m.

(d) Find the electric field on the x axis at x = 240 m.

To solve for a, I used the equation Q=lambda*length. My answer is 22nC, which is correct.

To solve for the remaining portion of the question, I used E=kQ/[x^2], where I took x to be (L+a-x). L is defined as the length of the rod (5m), a is the difference between the given position and the rod (for b, 1m), and x is the distance from the origin to the midpoint of the rod (2.5m).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Beginning physics, please help in finding the electric field for a uniform line c

The fact that you didn't get the right answer proves that E=kQ/[x^2] can only be used for point masses, not for extended objects. (The sphere is an exception, but that's a special case.) To solve this problem, you have to use calculus. What's the charge contributed by a length "dx" of rod a distance "x" from the given position?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook