1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning Physics Texbook

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone,

What is a really good Physics textbook for one who has Geomerty, Alg II, and some Pre-Calc/Calc skills.

Also, what is a really good Chemistry textbook for one who has Geomerty, Alg II, and some Pre-Calc/Calc skills.

It would basically be an intro to classes, I'm just looking to have it over the summer so I can go through the book and basically self-teach myself all (most) the material.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2
    Hi there, since you have some calculus under your belt, I would recommend a typical freshman calculus based physics book. Most people agree that Halliday and Walker are the best. I would recommend getting 6th (it's in its 9th edition now) edition because the contents haven't changed amazon link. Alternatively if money isn't an issue then here's a link to the latest edition amazon link

Now, for chemistry you don't actually need calculus just some basic algebra. Anyway at the freshman level most books are the same. The two names that I know of off the top of my head are Zumdahl and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005ML7A0U.

Good luck OP, I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 1, 2012 #3
    When you say freshman level, do you mean highschool or college?

I'm currently a freshman in highschool, going into my sophomore year.

5. May 1, 2012 #4
    I meant college freshman, so if you're a high school freshman the physics book I linked might be a little too advanced but you seem to have the math pre-requisites so consider giving it a shot.

6. May 1, 2012 #5
    Well I'm learning Calc this summer, so I guess I probably wouldn't be able to do some of the things in the book intended for freshmen in college.

I should learn it (calc) pretty quickly though, the only pre-requisites required for our highschools physics course are Alg II and below, and Biology.

7. May 1, 2012 #6
    Well in that case here's an algebra only physics book amazon link

8. May 1, 2012 #7
    Alright, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook