Understanding Patterns of Behavior in Extended Families: Nature vs. Nurture

• Thread starter arevolutionist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, after being separated from my extended family for many years and then returning, I noticed similarities in behavior among the members. My mother and first cousin share similar beliefs in health and personality traits. My second cousin has the same sleeping patterns as I did at age 11, and another second cousin has similar physical features and personality to me. It is likely that these behaviors are passed down through genes, as factors controlling behavior are genetically controlled and environmental factors play a role in shaping personalities. There also seems to be different "behavior groups" within the family, with some individuals falling into rare groups. It is also worth considering that hormone patterns and genetics may play a role in the development of behaviors and personality traits.
arevolutionist
I was separated from my extended family for many years. When I returned, I noticed similarities among the members' behavior.

My mother and first cousin possesses similar beliefs in health, and a general similarity in personality.

My second cousin possesses the same sleeping patterns that I possessed at age 11.

Another second cousin possesses similar physical features and an extremely similar personality to me.

How are behaviors passed to human spawns?

Biology news on Phys.org
It proabably has to do with the genes regulating emotional control centers.

As far as sleep patterns.. those have a a lot to do with daily fluctuations in hormone patterns.

You behaviors are similar.. because all those factors controlling behavior.. are at their root genetically controlled. Also keep in mind that our personalities are pretty much developed by ages 3-5. Soooo.. the environmental factors making you who you are. were established well before you were separated from your family.

Though, with the case of my "another second cousin", we never interacted. I have been separated from my extended family since I was 5 or 6, and I am 19 now. The cousin is 7 or 8. We differ greatly from the family also.

What seems to exist is a series of behavior groups. Specific humans within the family may be classified under one group. My cousin and myself may be classified in a rare group.

As far as sleep patterns.. those have a a lot to do with daily fluctuations in hormone patterns.

If corruption exists in the fluctuation of hormone patterns, could this cause be produced by genetics?

1. What factors influence behavior in families?

Behavior in families can be influenced by a variety of factors including genetics, environment, culture, and individual experiences. Genetic predispositions can impact certain behaviors, while environmental factors such as parenting style and family dynamics can also play a role. Culture and societal norms can also shape behavior within a family, as well as individual experiences and past traumas.

2. How does birth order affect behavior in families?

Birth order, or the order in which a child is born in a family, can have an impact on behavior. For example, firstborn children may exhibit more leadership qualities and be more responsible, while youngest children may be more rebellious and outgoing. However, birth order is just one factor and should not be solely relied upon to predict behavior.

3. Can behavior in families change over time?

Yes, behavior in families can change over time. As individuals grow and change, their behaviors and interactions within the family may also shift. Significant life events, such as a new sibling or a divorce, can also impact behavior within a family. It is important for families to communicate and adapt to these changes in order to maintain healthy dynamics.

4. How can conflict in families be managed?

Conflict is a natural part of any family dynamic, but it is important to manage it in a healthy way. Effective communication, active listening, and compromise are key elements in managing conflict. It is also important to address underlying issues and seek outside help if needed.

5. Can outside influences impact behavior in families?

Yes, outside influences such as peers, media, and community can have an impact on behavior in families. It is important for families to have open communication and set boundaries to prevent negative outside influences from affecting their dynamics. It is also important for families to have a strong support system to help navigate any outside influences that may arise.