Behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field

In summary, the conversation was about the behavior of hydrogen atom in an electric field and the experiments being conducted to study the Stark effect. The main issues discussed were how to produce an electric field of 100,000 v/cm and how to connect the hydrogen tube to the field. The conversation also mentioned browsing the internet for ideas and finding an induction coil for the experiment. The mentioned field strength of 100,000 v/cm was based on Stark's research in 1914. The purpose of the experiment is to witness the splitting of spectral lines.
amalmirando
behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field...

hi,
i'm conducting a research in studying the behaviour of hydrogen atom in an electric field and hoping to carryout the stark effect expeiment.i found a hydrogen tube in the lab but the following issues have risen...

(1) how do i produce around 100,000 v/cm electric field?
(2) how to connect the hydroen tube to this field? (whether to apply above field to both ends or place the tube in between the field)

i browsed through the internet and found absolutely nothing about carrying out this experiment.so if there are people who've carried out the experiment can help me with this?

-amal mirando-

Physics news on Phys.org

anybody got ideas?....

Read any General physics book and you will find how to make ana electric field with the specific charge and so on. The rest of the experiment you have to use your mind

hey,thanks for the idea...i have found an induction coil which is capable of producing the required field...

The fields can be applied right through the walls of your tube. Assuming the tube is longer than it is wide, plates above and below will have closer spacing and thus reduce the voltage you need to generate. The field strength you mention sounds awful high--you will probably tear the electrons off their nuclear to produce a plasma. Where did you get that value?

thanks for the idea...the above mentioned field is what Stark provided in 1914 to verify stark effect..my idea is to witness the splitting of spectral lines ...

1. How does hydrogen behave in an electric field?

Hydrogen is a highly reactive gas and its behavior in an electric field is largely dependent on the strength and direction of the field. When subjected to an electric field, hydrogen can undergo several processes such as ionization, formation of plasma, and dissociation.

2. What is the effect of an electric field on hydrogen atoms?

The effect of an electric field on hydrogen atoms depends on the strength of the field. In a weak electric field, the hydrogen atoms may experience a slight shift in their electron distribution, while in a strong field they can completely lose their electrons through ionization.

3. How does the behavior of hydrogen in an electric field differ from other elements?

Hydrogen is the lightest and simplest element, which makes it highly reactive and prone to drastic changes in its behavior when exposed to an electric field. Other elements may have different responses to electric fields depending on their atomic structure and properties.

4. Can an electric field affect the chemical properties of hydrogen?

Yes, an electric field can affect the chemical properties of hydrogen. When subjected to a strong electric field, the electrons in the hydrogen atoms can be stripped away, resulting in the formation of ions. This change in its atomic structure can alter its chemical properties and reactivity.

5. How is the behavior of hydrogen in an electric field used in scientific research?

The behavior of hydrogen in an electric field is used in various scientific research and applications. It is commonly used in plasma physics and fusion research, as well as in the development of fuel cells and hydrogen-powered technologies. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of other elements and molecules in electric fields.