1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behind on Trig Identities

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    I am currently taking Calc II and we are doing trig substitutions at the moment. I seem to have forgotten almost all the important trig identities. I understand that this sounds like something I should google but I honestly cannot find a good list of the trig identities I should know at this point. If someone could help me with the trig identities that I should memorize I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Edit: An example would be sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x) or tan2(x)=sec2(x)-1. Those are two I remember but I know I am forgetting a ton.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html" [Broken]

Try to learn them when doing questions or else you'll be trying to learn a long list where you may struggle to see when to use it in a given question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Thank you, that really helped.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    I made flashcards, but I agree that you need to practice them with problems. Here are a few of mine:

[itex]
    \sin ^2 x + \cos ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 - \sin ^2 x = \cos ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 - \cos ^2 x = \sin ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x - \tan ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x - 1 = \tan ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x = 1 + \tan ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \csc ^2 x - \cot ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 + \cot ^2 x = \csc ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \csc ^2 x - 1 = \cot ^2 x
    [/itex]

I don't often run into the half angle identities, but they come up occasionally.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. Sep 4, 2011 #5

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Here's a little trick, so that you don't need to rely on brute memorization. We want to memorize the following well-known identity:

[tex]sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1[/tex]

If you divide both sides by cos2x, you get:

[tex]tan^2 x + 1 = sec^2 x[/tex]

which is the second identity rearranged. Similarly, if you divide both sides by sin2x, you get:

[tex]1+cot^2 x = csc^2 x[/tex]

which is the third identity rearranged. I can't think of any other identities that can be derived like this, but this saves the effort of memorizing, or provides a sanity check to make sure that what you memorized is correct.

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6
    Agreed, my method was the memorize the big three and manipulate them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook