Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Behind on Trig Identities

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    I am currently taking Calc II and we are doing trig substitutions at the moment. I seem to have forgotten almost all the important trig identities. I understand that this sounds like something I should google but I honestly cannot find a good list of the trig identities I should know at this point. If someone could help me with the trig identities that I should memorize I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Edit: An example would be sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x) or tan2(x)=sec2(x)-1. Those are two I remember but I know I am forgetting a ton.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html" [Broken]

Try to learn them when doing questions or else you'll be trying to learn a long list where you may struggle to see when to use it in a given question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Thank you, that really helped.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    I made flashcards, but I agree that you need to practice them with problems. Here are a few of mine:

[itex]
    \sin ^2 x + \cos ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 - \sin ^2 x = \cos ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 - \cos ^2 x = \sin ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x - \tan ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x - 1 = \tan ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \sec ^2 x = 1 + \tan ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \csc ^2 x - \cot ^2 x = 1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    1 + \cot ^2 x = \csc ^2 x
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \csc ^2 x - 1 = \cot ^2 x
    [/itex]

I don't often run into the half angle identities, but they come up occasionally.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. Sep 4, 2011 #5

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Here's a little trick, so that you don't need to rely on brute memorization. We want to memorize the following well-known identity:

[tex]sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1[/tex]

If you divide both sides by cos2x, you get:

[tex]tan^2 x + 1 = sec^2 x[/tex]

which is the second identity rearranged. Similarly, if you divide both sides by sin2x, you get:

[tex]1+cot^2 x = csc^2 x[/tex]

which is the third identity rearranged. I can't think of any other identities that can be derived like this, but this saves the effort of memorizing, or provides a sanity check to make sure that what you memorized is correct.

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6
    Agreed, my method was the memorize the big three and manipulate them.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook