Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Being a clown for Halloween

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1
    Ok, I know this sounds like a stupid thread, but it is a serious issue. With all the things going on with clowns, there has been talking about banning clown halloween costumes in the USA and Canada. Critics are saying this violates freedom of expression for a bad reason; just because a few people are bad clowns doesn't mean it should ruin clown costumes for everyone. What do you guys think?

Also, if you have interesting clown sighting articles, please post here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When you say "bad clowns", are you referring to the upcoming elections?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The only thing you get from banning clown costumes is:

1. The assurance there are thousands of people dressed as clowns in various cities.

2. An unenforceable piece of legislation.

1 will probably happen anyway.

I don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

7. Oct 9, 2016 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

People just need to warn children to stay away from people dressed as clowns acting inappropriately (offering gifts, candy, trying to get them to follow them, asking for help, to see an animal). Things a normal adult stranger would not be doing with a child they don't know. And I don't mean answering their door and handing out candy, although wearing a clown suit to do that is kind of creepy. Parents need to take responsibility to teach their children what is appropriate.

8. Oct 9, 2016 #7
    Why are people dressing up as clowns, scaring others? It has migrated to Australia, and probably already NZ.

9. Oct 9, 2016 #8
    I thought the exact same thing when I saw the title. It was the first thing that crossed my mind as soon as I read it. I thought it was going to be a funny post with pictures of them as clowns.

Related: Long time ago... Well, not that long. When I was a kid in elementary school, there were news sprouting from time to time warning about people dressed as clowns in a vehicle offering candies to kids in schools. It was the whole year long with no particular time for the events.

The news told parents to tell their kids to get away immediately if someone, even if not dressed as a clown, offered candies or something else to them.

The news eventually disappeared. It looked like that practice stopped existing. It's been years since I heard news like that.
    At this moment I have not yet formulated and opinion. At first sight I agree with Student100, but since kids are involved, it would require me to analyze it more to make a proper opinion. After all, they are kids and their security should be important... I think.

Edit: I got wrong Student100 username. I wrote Student2000. Typo fixed :biggrin:.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. Oct 10, 2016 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aK3R1GZ_460s.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  11. Oct 10, 2016 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

12. Oct 10, 2016 #11
    So it was a lie :rolleyes:. I can only say that they are not the only ones. I have personally seen wealthy adult individuals make false public alarms about dangers of possible criminal acts, but since they have the greens, they don't get charged or even processed at all.

These ones are teens and got charged. That's the way it should be, but not everyone gets processed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted