What is the Concept of Being in Sartre's Philosophy?

• Thread starter Rade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, Sartre's concept of Being is objective and refers to what exists, while Existence is subjective and relates to the presence of an individual or thing in the world. Sartre rejects Kant's concept of noumenon and questions the difference between his own "in-itself" of Being and Kant's "in-itself" of noumenon. For Descartes, the "I am" refers to existence and the "am" to Being. There is a debate about whether existence is a quality or a state, and it ultimately revolves around the question of what exists. Some value knowledge for its potential usefulness, while others value it for its ability to shape one's identity. Sartre's ideas may
Rade
From this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/sartre.html

we read:
What is Being? What is Nothingness? How are they related? For Sartre, Being is objective, it is what is. Being is in-itself. Existence, on the other hand, has a subjective quality in relation to human reality. Existence refers to the fact that some individual or thing is present in the world.

But...(here I assume the site is correct about Sartre)...what does Sartre gain by holding on to 'being' since he also rejects, in the introduction to Being and Nothingness, Kant’s concept of noumenon ? So my question, what the difference between the "in-itself" of Sartre "being" and the "in-itself" of Kant noumenon ? If no difference, is philosophy of Sartre then falsified ?

Finally, for Descarte and his "I think therefore I am", is the "I am" of Descarte the "being" or the "existence" of Sartre (or both or neither?) ?

Any thought on either of these two questions is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rade,

I would think that, in the "I am" of Descartes, the "I" is existence, as it is existence that is the noun (and is reflexive, in a sense, on the subject using it) and the "am" is Being, as 'am' is the first-person singular of 'to be'. It is 'existence' that 'is', to Sartre. So, whether it is Descartes or you or I (or God) who says "I am", it's another way of saying 'existence is' in reference to oneself.
Sartre does seem a little confused (or, at least, confusing), but then, he's not here to speak up for himself. I suppose he's saying that existence is a quality that something must have in order to 'be', which is why he feels it is subjective to the thing that 'is'. Whilst 'being' is the state of existing, which is objective with respect to everything that exists. But, of course, this begs the question "What is it that exists?" I would say 'energy', as it is neither created nor destroyed. And I can think of nothing that exists that is not comprised wholly of energy in some form or another (and, in most cases, a mixture).
Cheers,
Pat

i don't see how being isn't existing.

To be or not to be, that is the question. It is a matter of self-preservation above all else. Do you value knowledge because you may do something with it or do you value knowledge because with it you may become something?

Agreed. That's why I said Sartre appears either confused or confusing.

i'd say i value knowledge because i might do something with it one day. who is Sartre?

1. What does Sartre mean by "being" in his philosophy?

Sartre's concept of "being" refers to the fundamental nature of existence and the human experience. He believed that existence precedes essence, meaning that humans are not born with a predetermined purpose or essence, but rather create their own through their actions and choices. This concept is closely tied to his idea of freedom and the responsibility that comes with it.

2. How does Sartre's concept of "being" differ from traditional philosophical ideas?

In traditional philosophy, "being" is often seen as a static and universal concept. However, Sartre rejected this idea and instead focused on the individual's subjective experience of existence. He emphasized the importance of personal choice and the rejection of any predetermined essence or purpose.

3. What role does consciousness play in Sartre's concept of "being"?

In Sartre's philosophy, consciousness is the key to understanding being. He believed that consciousness is not a static entity, but rather an ongoing process of becoming. It is through our consciousness that we are able to recognize our own existence and the existence of others.

4. How does Sartre's concept of "being" relate to his ideas on authenticity?

Sartre believed that in order to live an authentic life, one must fully embrace their existence and the freedom that comes with it. This means taking responsibility for one's choices and actively creating their own essence. In this way, "being" is closely tied to authenticity in Sartre's philosophy.

5. Can Sartre's concept of "being" be applied to everyday life?

Yes, Sartre's concept of "being" has practical applications in everyday life. By understanding that our existence is not predetermined and that we have the freedom to shape our own essence, we can make conscious choices that align with our values and lead to a more authentic life. Additionally, being aware of our own consciousness can help us better understand and empathize with others, leading to more meaningful connections and relationships.