Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Being at zero potential

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    When the shell is grounded(at zero potential), it is essentially empty of any electrical charge. Is it true?I think ,yes.But I think it should be

When the shell is grounded, it is essentially empty of any excess electrical charge.
    Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's this tread about ? There clearly is a context missing! What shell ? What charge ? What sequence of events ? :smile:

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wrong, a grounded conductor can be charged.

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4
    You mean with non zero net charge?

6. Nov 23, 2015 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"charged" means nonzero net charge or excess charge. A neutral conductor is not charged in spite that it contains positive ions and negative electrons.

7. Nov 23, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simple example: hollow conducting sphere with a charge Q at the center, so a mirror charge of -Q on the inside. If it's neutral there is +Q on the outside. If the outside is then grounded,, the +Q flows away. The outside is at zero potential, but the shell has net charge -Q.

8. Nov 23, 2015 #7
    Thanks.
    I understood now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook