Being Left-Handed

  • Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date

Are you left-handed?


  • Total voters
    59
  • Poll closed .
  • #1
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,711
7
This is something I'm pretty interested in, albeit non-professionally.

Firsly, how many of you are left handed? I'd like to think that more than the 10% (?) average are. I've made a poo attempt at a poll, but if it's worked then it's a bonus...

Secondly, does anyone know anything about the vague claims that us 'cuddy wifters' die younger? From what I've read, we're more succeptible to inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, asthma, and autism. Anyone?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
1,085
6
I am right handed, but I write somewhat good with my left (because of practice of course).
 
  • #3
1
0
My question is, how many mathematicians are left handed?
 
  • #4
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
I'm generally right-handed, thought until 2nd grade, when we were taught cursive writing according to whether we were right- or left-handed, I was somewhat ambidextrous (the teachers told us to split into groups according to which hand we felt more comfortable holding our pencil...I couldn't decide, so joined the group most of my friends were in). There are still things I can do with either hand, or do two different things with both hands...that comes in really handy at times.
 
  • #5
61
0
I'm a lefty but I can write on chalkboards with both hands. I also do some things right handed while I do others left handed, aka "hand preference".

'cuddy wifters'- is that what they call it in the UK? Here in "jesusland" it goes by 'southpaw'.

I dont know about the claims you were alleging but here is an article from the BBC claiming that left handed people kick ass! :biggrin:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4073775.stm
 
  • #6
149
0
I'm right handed, however, my left-handed friend has one of the funniest T-Shirts I've read:

"Everybody is born right-handed, only the gifted overcome it."
 
  • #7
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
827
15
i find lefties facinating people. am a righty myself, but many things i do are with my left hand...
 
  • #8
695
6
Spatial ability seems to be correlated with left-handedness. lefties also get increased susceptibility to auto-immune diseases and decreased life span.
Those two facts are from the book that I just wrote a review on and said how much it sucked. Science in the Looking Glass by E. Brian Davies
 
  • #9
356
3
Right handed and slowly becoming ambidextrous.
 
  • #10
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
Spatial ability seems to be correlated with left-handedness.

Oh, sure, first everyone tells me men are better at spatial relations, now it's lefties. Just try to explain why this right-handed female can handle that just fine. :biggrin:

I had to ship a package last week via UPS, and it was in that range where they charge you by size or weight, whichever is the greater cost, so I was trying to figure out shipping charges in advance to see if I really wanted to use UPS. I took a good guess, not having a ruler or scale handy. When I got to the UPS place, I had the weight exactly right, and was only off by one inch on one side for dimensions! Not bad for a right-handed girl, huh? :rofl:
 
  • #11
66
0
I am left handed, and i use my hand for all the tasks i do as the right handed people use thier right hands for the tasks they do except the following:

Eating: I use both of my hands, but i prefer to eat with the right hand if i use a spoon while eating

Using the PC mouse: While playing strategy games, some people are shocked by my rushes and army conrtol, I say always when i hear that: This is with my right hand playing, how will you say if i played with my left hand [actually , i am much worse with my left hand in this case :biggrin: ] same applied for the keyboard arrows...

Basket ball: When i want to score i use my left hand as the "aiming hand", still, whil playing football, i can do the "banana shoot" in the free-kicks really good with my right leg [the left is crap here], in other part of the game, i have anadvantage may be cuz i can aim with both legs.

writing in baord is much easier than writing on paper, i can do on baord with both hand, but left is faster and eaiser, but while on paper i use left hand [right hand for fun only here :biggrin: ] as well while i am drawing/ hewing.
 
  • #12
695
6
Moonbear said:
Oh, sure, first everyone tells me men are better at spatial relations, now it's lefties. Just try to explain why this right-handed female can handle that just fine. :biggrin:

I had to ship a package last week via UPS, and it was in that range where they charge you by size or weight, whichever is the greater cost, so I was trying to figure out shipping charges in advance to see if I really wanted to use UPS. I took a good guess, not having a ruler or scale handy. When I got to the UPS place, I had the weight exactly right, and was only off by one inch on one side for dimensions! Not bad for a right-handed girl, huh? :rofl:
it wouldn't be bad at all if you hadn't been mailing a 2lb box of chocolate in the new collectors edition 8 1/2 by 11 notebook box.
 
  • #13
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
it wouldn't be bad at all if you hadn't been mailing a 2lb box of chocolate in the new collectors edition 8 1/2 by 11 notebook box.

Oh, you should know better than that! I don't mail chocolate, I eat chocolate. Actually, that's what happened to my sister's birthday present. I bought her some chocolates, then decided I better taste them to make sure they were good chocolates, then I couldn't send a half-eaten box of chocolate, so her birthday present was included with the Christmas gifts, finally. Her birthday was in July. :rofl: At least my birthday was only in October, and I just got part of that present (my nephew, with the help of his mom, sent me two of the Harry Potter books I wanted...now I know I'm his favorite auntie!), the rest of mine will be given to me at Christmas too. :rofl:
 
  • #14
695
6
You know what's depressing? More people have voted in the left handedness poll than voted in the funniest member of the year.
 
  • #15
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
You know what's depressing? More people have voted in the left handedness poll than voted in the funniest member of the year.

Not yet, but it's about halfway there. Well, depending on whether you count before or after Greg added the extra 70 or so votes for your opponent. :rofl:
 
  • #16
695
6
hey don't try filling my half empty cup! more people like lefties than comic genius.
 
  • #17
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
hey don't try filling my half empty cup! more people like lefties than comic genius.

Never fear, I leave that job to you.
 
  • #18
695
6
it must be bedtime because I almost tried to think of a five word response to keep this story going.
 
  • #19
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
it must be bedtime because I almost tried to think of a five word response to keep this story going.

I know it's my bedtime, and since you didn't catch blatant innuendo (oxymoron?), it must be your bedtime too. :rofl:
 
  • #20
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,711
7
This is what I wanted!

I reckoned that there would be a greater-than-average population of lefties on this board. Very unscientific, I know, but keep polling and prove me right!
 
  • #21
FZ+
1,561
3
On the other hand, a topic title of 'being left handed' probably does attract a disproportionate number of left-handers... I expect most right handed people to take their right-handedness for granted, and decide not to vote.
 
  • #22
551
1
I'm left handed too and I find that I can't really co-ordinate well with my right hand (doing things like dribbling a basketball for example). Although, I've always used a mouse with my right hand, so that's something I can do.
 
  • #23
695
6
my dad is left handed. He taught me how to shoot a gun and how to shoot pool and I do both tasks left handed. I can write with my left hand, but only in mirror image of what I'm simultaneously writing with my right.
 
  • #24
plover
Homework Helper
188
0
I'm sort of randomly handed. I think I do things with whatever hand I happened to do them first. I write right-handed, but there have been situations where I've picked up a piece of chalk and (without thinking about it) started writing with my left hand. It turns out readable, and it goes from left to right, but some of the letters come out mirrored (not all though, e.g. e and s get reversed c and k do not).

How many people here can end up with their eyes adjusted for different amounts illumination for a significant period of time (at least a few minutes)? When I read lying down, I often close one eye. After a while, when I open both eyes, the one that was closed is dark-adapted and the other is not. It takes a few minutes for them to get back in sync. IIRC, it is actually unusual for this to happen, i.e. that most people's eyes always stay synced, but I could be wrong.
 
  • #25
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
plover said:
How many people here can end up with their eyes adjusted for different amounts illumination for a significant period of time (at least a few minutes)? When I read lying down, I often close one eye. After a while, when I open both eyes, the one that was closed is dark-adapted and the other is not. It takes a few minutes for them to get back in sync. IIRC, it is actually unusual for this to happen, i.e. that most people's eyes always stay synced, but I could be wrong.

Funny you mention that. I just noticed that last night. I was lying in bed reading, and had one eye closed leaning into blankets and reading with the other eye. When I finally opened my other eye to sit up and put the book away, it took a long time for both to adapt to the light...one saw the room as too bright, the other too dark. It was annoying.
 

Related Threads on Being Left-Handed

  • Last Post
2
Replies
28
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
9
Views
7K
Replies
72
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
7K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
42
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
5K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
63
Views
5K
Top