Is Naivety a Virtue or a Vice?

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of naivety and its relationship to humility and confidence. It is mentioned that feigning naivety can be a sign of humility, but also that it can be used as a way to learn from others. The idea of confidence is also explored, with the suggestion that it may sometimes be a facade or a way to deceive oneself.
jammieg
Being naive isn't fun, it's confusing and people laugh at gullible and naive people, but not children because they are supposed to be naive. One way to be naive is to pretend that someone is really smart or has a Ph.D in everything. Typically people do not, but typically to them they are quite sure, we are all quite sure we know what we are talking about, but I try pretending that I'm not and they happen to know it all and in doing so I get really confused. I guess in really taking in another person's views it makes one more confused, but if confusion is the starting point of learning then maybe it is good, and so maybe by being naive we become less naive? If you ask people philosphical questions and really listen I find that many people are very happy to tell you exactly how the world works, and the more naive or attentively listening you seem to be the more they want and like discussing it. On the other hand sometimes I've had enough of being naive and most situations in life don't require the questionings and uncertainties of philosophical mindedness but sureness and action are better. What are some other ways of being naive, and more importantly I wonder if this is really a good thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jammieg
Being naive isn't fun, it's confusing and people laugh at gullible and naive people, but not children because they are supposed to be naive. One way to be naive is to pretend that someone is really smart or has a Ph.D in everything. Typically people do not, but typically to them they are quite sure, we are all quite sure we know what we are talking about, but I try pretending that I'm not and they happen to know it all and in doing so I get really confused. I guess in really taking in another person's views it makes one more confused, but if confusion is the starting point of learning then maybe it is good, and so maybe by being naive we become less naive? If you ask people philosphical questions and really listen I find that many people are very happy to tell you exactly how the world works, and the more naive or attentively listening you seem to be the more they want and like discussing it. On the other hand sometimes I've had enough of being naive and most situations in life don't require the questionings and uncertainties of philosophical mindedness but sureness and action are better. What are some other ways of being naive, and more importantly I wonder if this is really a good thing?

I think you are, through some of your post, confusing naivety for humility. After all, I listen to many people try to explain how the world (or a part of the world) works, but that doesn't (necessarily) mean that I don't know how the world works, it means that I'm humble (better word: modest) enough to recognize that they might know better than I do.

It's true that, often, one must feign naivety in order to learn from someone who believes him/herself to be more knowledgeable; but the ability to do this is a sign of true modesty.

Originally posted by Mentat
I think you are, through some of your post, confusing
naivety for humility.
I partially agree.
Also, some people actually do know what they're talking
about, not a lot though...:wink:

That's funny, I didn't intend to sound humble I mostly try to write as honest and objective as possible. That reminds me of high school how they say just be confident when you talk to girls that's what they like, but I could never quite pull it off, then just the other day I realized that it's all one big sham that girls are duped into attraction for confident guys becuase when a person accomplishes and overcomes things in their life they feel happier and more sure of themselves that they can get things done, and so we can see when people are confident but what we can't see is whether they are pretending or not, young naive girls will sometimes superficially reason or subconsciously reason that they are confident because they have earned it so they get a feeling about this guy or that when in fact they are just feigning the overt behavior of accomplishment and achievement. Being confident doesn't make a person achieve more, in the long run they just learn that pretending and lying to themselves solves all their wants and desires, it's just another form of lying to oneself and taking the easy way.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is being naive a good thing?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. It depends on the context and situation. In some cases, being naive can lead to positive outcomes, such as being open-minded and optimistic. However, in other situations, being naive can leave a person vulnerable to scams or manipulation.

2. What are the benefits of being naive?

Being naive can have its benefits, such as being open to new experiences and ideas, having a positive outlook on life, and being more trusting of others. It can also lead to a less stressful and worrisome mindset, as naive individuals may not be as aware of potential dangers or negative outcomes.

3. What are the drawbacks of being naive?

Being naive can also have its drawbacks, such as being easily taken advantage of or manipulated by others. It can also lead to making uninformed decisions or being too trusting, which can result in negative consequences. Naive individuals may also struggle to see the reality of certain situations and may have a harder time learning from their mistakes.

4. Can someone become less naive?

Yes, someone can become less naive through experience and education. As people grow older and gain more life experiences, they may become more aware of the world and less naive. Additionally, education and learning can also help individuals become more knowledgeable and less naive in certain areas.

5. How can being naive be a disadvantage in a professional setting?

Being naive in a professional setting can lead to difficulties in making sound decisions and understanding complex situations. It can also make it harder to navigate office politics and recognize potential red flags in a job or business opportunity. Naive individuals may also be less likely to question authority or speak up for their rights in the workplace.