1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Being respected with a twitch

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    I have an eye twitch/tic and I hate it. There's really nothing I can do about it and I can't take medication for it. But what I hate more than my twitch is the response people, physicists in particular, have toward it. I present well, but I almost always get docked points because my "presence" isn't that great due to the twitch. I stand tall, I don't fidget, speak well, etc. but that twitch gets me down. I watch videos of myself, and if I didn't have that twitch, my presentation would be so much more enjoyed. People have been very rude ("Are you winking at me?" when I'm presenting a poster to them) and it makes me worry about my future in the field.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to be better respected in graduate school so that my professors at least understand? Should I just inform them upfront about it? What about when I TA? I frequently get mocked by a student or two when I'm in front of a group of people. What can I do to make people see past it when I present my work? Am I "doomed" with regards to presenting?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're a military officer, right? What would you do if a junior enlisted did that to you? Do the same thing when a student does it.

4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    I can quickly nip it in the bud when going home is at stake- or push ups... But what do you do with professors?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. Jan 9, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Professor, I am surprised that you said that. Do you mock all the disabled?"

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    Absolutely! They should be aware that it is not voluntary.

You can also work it into your "schtick". Own it. Make an appropriate and good natured joke about it in your intro. There are many famous people who are known for their oddity or tick. Make it an advantage. Make it something people will help remember you by (not solely of course).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook