Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belgian Monks Run Out of the World's Best Beer

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

BRUSSELS (Reuters, Aug. 12) - Monks at a Belgian abbey have been forced to stop selling their famous beer after it was voted the best in the world and was promptly sold out.

The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in western Belgium is home to some 30 Cistercian and Trappist monks who lead a life of seclusion, prayer, manual labor -- and beer-brewing. Sounds good to me. :biggrin:

A survey of thousands of beer enthusiasts from 65 countries on the RateBeer Web site (www.ratebeer.com) in June rated the Westvleteren 12 beer as the world's best.

But the abbey only has a limited brewing capacity, and was not able to cope with the beer's sudden popularity.

''Our shop is closed because all our beer has been sold out,'' said a message on the abbey's answering machine, which it calls the ''beer phone.''

And the abbey has no intention of boosting its capacity to satisfy market demand.

''We are not brewers, we are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks,'' the father abbot said on the abbey's Web site.

Monk Mark Bode told De Morgen daily: ''Outsiders don't understand why we are not raising production. But for us life in the abbey comes first, not the brewery.''

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2
    Ahh, our great Belgium country... I know, it is all on the news here, but do not worry, that beer will continue to appear on the market

marlon

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess sometimes you just have to settle for second-best. Who sells that one? :biggrin:

True, marlon, they're not shutting down, they probably just can't take new orders when they know it's going to be a while before they have more made.

Besides, they probably need to keep some reserves for themselves to make the secluded, celibate life survivable. :tongue2:

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remember the story correctly, there was an order of nuns famous for their chocolate, but after a time the chocolate production began to drop. A visiting Bishop found a bunch of overweight nuns addicted to chocolate, so the treat was banned for all nuns for some number of years.

6. Aug 12, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Nuns and chocolate - now of whom does that remind me? I seem to remember guns had something to do with them. :wink:

7. Aug 12, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You don't meeeeeean...[begin echo] The Sisters of PF!!!

[​IMG]

8. Aug 12, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, some consider chocolate a substitute for sex. I see no reason to settle for just one or the other though. They go together so well!

9. Aug 12, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

is moonbear that grumpy looking one, second from the left?

10. Aug 12, 2005 #9

Evo

Rut roh. (I wouldn't want to be yomamma right now :uhh: )

11. Aug 12, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Time to say your prayers young man! :devil:

12. Aug 12, 2005 #11

Astronuc

A list of top 10 beers from around the world (from last year) -

Trappistes Rochefort 10
    Westvleteren Abt. 12
    Chimay Bleu
    Duvel
    Orval
    Delirium Tremens
    Koningshoeven (dubbel or tripel)
    Westmalle
    St. Bernardus Abt. 12
    Maredsous 10
    La Chouffe

I like the Chimays, and I looking at trying them all - next time I'm in Belgium. :biggrin:

I see that yomamma is being young and foolish. :rolleyes:

13. Aug 13, 2005 #12
    I have tried all of these beers several times and i say Duvel rocks, well and the Trappiste also, and the Westmalle prior to a bottle of Westvleteren...errr i like 'em all

marlon

14. Aug 13, 2005 #13
    Gentleman,
    It's your turn now!
    You look quite experienced with beers!
    Can you give me 10 reasons why beer is better than woman!

15. Aug 13, 2005 #14

Astronuc

NO!

No beer is better than woman!

Nothing is better than women! :smile: :cool:

16. Aug 13, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Rats, I guess I should keep my 50 Reasons Beer is Better than Men to myself. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?