Belgian Monks Run Out of the World's Best Beer

  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • #1
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
20,866
4,838
BRUSSELS (Reuters, Aug. 12) - Monks at a Belgian abbey have been forced to stop selling their famous beer after it was voted the best in the world and was promptly sold out.

The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in western Belgium is home to some 30 Cistercian and Trappist monks who lead a life of seclusion, prayer, manual labor -- and beer-brewing. Sounds good to me. :biggrin:

A survey of thousands of beer enthusiasts from 65 countries on the RateBeer Web site (www.ratebeer.com) in June rated the Westvleteren 12 beer as the world's best.

But the abbey only has a limited brewing capacity, and was not able to cope with the beer's sudden popularity.

''Our shop is closed because all our beer has been sold out,'' said a message on the abbey's answering machine, which it calls the ''beer phone.''

And the abbey has no intention of boosting its capacity to satisfy market demand.

''We are not brewers, we are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks,'' the father abbot said on the abbey's Web site.

Monk Mark Bode told De Morgen daily: ''Outsiders don't understand why we are not raising production. But for us life in the abbey comes first, not the brewery.''
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
marlon
3,777
11
Ahh, our great Belgium country... I know, it is all on the news here, but do not worry, that beer will continue to appear on the market

marlon
 
  • #3
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
I guess sometimes you just have to settle for second-best. Who sells that one? :biggrin:

True, marlon, they're not shutting down, they probably just can't take new orders when they know it's going to be a while before they have more made.

Besides, they probably need to keep some reserves for themselves to make the secluded, celibate life survivable. :tongue2:
 
  • #4
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
If I remember the story correctly, there was an order of nuns famous for their chocolate, but after a time the chocolate production began to drop. A visiting Bishop found a bunch of overweight nuns addicted to chocolate, so the treat was banned for all nuns for some number of years.
 
  • #5
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
20,866
4,838
Nuns and chocolate - now of whom does that remind me? I seem to remember guns had something to do with them. :wink:
 
  • #6
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #7
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Ivan Seeking said:
If I remember the story correctly, there was an order of nuns famous for their chocolate, but after a time the chocolate production began to drop. A visiting Bishop found a bunch of overweight nuns addicted to chocolate, so the treat was banned for all nuns for some number of years.
Well, some consider chocolate a substitute for sex. I see no reason to settle for just one or the other though. They go together so well!
 
  • #9
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
yomamma said:
is moonbear that grumpy looking one, second from the left?
Rut roh. (I wouldn't want to be yomamma right now :uhh: )
 
  • #10
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
yomamma said:
is moonbear that grumpy looking one, second from the left?

Time to say your prayers young man! :devil:
 
  • #11
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
20,866
4,838
A list of top 10 beers from around the world (from last year) -

Trappistes Rochefort 10
Westvleteren Abt. 12
Chimay Bleu
Duvel
Orval
Delirium Tremens
Koningshoeven (dubbel or tripel)
Westmalle
St. Bernardus Abt. 12
Maredsous 10
La Chouffe

I like the Chimays, and I looking at trying them all - next time I'm in Belgium. :biggrin:

I see that yomamma is being young and foolish. :rolleyes:
 
  • #12
marlon
3,777
11
Astronuc said:
A list of top 10 beers from around the world (from last year) -

Trappistes Rochefort 10
Westvleteren Abt. 12
Chimay Bleu
Duvel
Orval
Delirium Tremens
Koningshoeven (dubbel or tripel)
Westmalle
St. Bernardus Abt. 12
Maredsous 10
La Chouffe

I like the Chimays, and I looking at trying them all - next time I'm in Belgium. :biggrin:

I see that yomamma is being young and foolish. :rolleyes:

I have tried all of these beers several times and i say Duvel rocks, well and the Trappiste also, and the Westmalle prior to a bottle of Westvleteren...errr i like 'em all

marlon
 
  • #13
heman
361
0
marlon said:
I have tried all of these beers several times and i say Duvel rocks, well and the Trappiste also, and the Westmalle prior to a bottle of Westvleteren...errr i like 'em all

marlon

Gentleman,
It's your turn now!
You look quite experienced with beers!
Can you give me 10 reasons why beer is better than woman!
 
  • #14
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
20,866
4,838
heman said:
Gentleman,
It's your turn now!
You look quite experienced with beers!
Can you give me 10 reasons why beer is better than woman!
NO!

No beer is better than woman!

Nothing is better than women! :smile: :cool:
 
  • #15
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
Astronuc said:
NO!

No beer is better than woman!

Nothing is better than women! :smile: :cool:
Rats, I guess I should keep my 50 Reasons Beer is Better than Men to myself. :redface:
 

Suggested for: Belgian Monks Run Out of the World's Best Beer

Replies
6
Views
377
Replies
4
Views
270
Replies
2
Views
587
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
1K
Replies
0
Views
61
Replies
4
Views
455
Replies
32
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
258
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
574
Top