Belgian Monks Run Out of the World's Best Beer

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, the monks at a Belgian abbey have been forced to stop selling their famous beer after it was voted the best in the world and was promptly sold out. The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in western Belgium is home to some 30 Cistercian and Trappist monks who lead a life of seclusion, prayer, manual labor -- and beer-brewing. A survey of thousands of beer enthusiasts from 65 countries on the RateBeer Web site (www.ratebeer.com) in June rated the Westvleteren 12 beer as the world's best. But the abbey only has a limited brewing capacity, and was not able to cope with the beer's sudden popularity. The abbey
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
BRUSSELS (Reuters, Aug. 12) - Monks at a Belgian abbey have been forced to stop selling their famous beer after it was voted the best in the world and was promptly sold out.

The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in western Belgium is home to some 30 Cistercian and Trappist monks who lead a life of seclusion, prayer, manual labor -- and beer-brewing. Sounds good to me. :biggrin:

A survey of thousands of beer enthusiasts from 65 countries on the RateBeer Web site (www.ratebeer.com) in June rated the Westvleteren 12 beer as the world's best.

But the abbey only has a limited brewing capacity, and was not able to cope with the beer's sudden popularity.

''Our shop is closed because all our beer has been sold out,'' said a message on the abbey's answering machine, which it calls the ''beer phone.''

And the abbey has no intention of boosting its capacity to satisfy market demand.

''We are not brewers, we are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks,'' the father abbot said on the abbey's Web site.

Monk Mark Bode told De Morgen daily: ''Outsiders don't understand why we are not raising production. But for us life in the abbey comes first, not the brewery.''

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, our great Belgium country... I know, it is all on the news here, but do not worry, that beer will continue to appear on the market

marlon

I guess sometimes you just have to settle for second-best. Who sells that one? :biggrin:

True, marlon, they're not shutting down, they probably just can't take new orders when they know it's going to be a while before they have more made.

Besides, they probably need to keep some reserves for themselves to make the secluded, celibate life survivable. :tongue2:

If I remember the story correctly, there was an order of nuns famous for their chocolate, but after a time the chocolate production began to drop. A visiting Bishop found a bunch of overweight nuns addicted to chocolate, so the treat was banned for all nuns for some number of years.

Nuns and chocolate - now of whom does that remind me? I seem to remember guns had something to do with them. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
If I remember the story correctly, there was an order of nuns famous for their chocolate, but after a time the chocolate production began to drop. A visiting Bishop found a bunch of overweight nuns addicted to chocolate, so the treat was banned for all nuns for some number of years.
Well, some consider chocolate a substitute for sex. I see no reason to settle for just one or the other though. They go together so well!

Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
is moonbear that grumpy looking one, second from the left?
Rut roh. (I wouldn't want to be yomamma right now :uhh: )

yomamma said:
is moonbear that grumpy looking one, second from the left?

Time to say your prayers young man! :devil:

A list of top 10 beers from around the world (from last year) -

Trappistes Rochefort 10
Westvleteren Abt. 12
Chimay Bleu
Duvel
Orval
Delirium Tremens
Koningshoeven (dubbel or tripel)
Westmalle
St. Bernardus Abt. 12
Maredsous 10
La Chouffe

I like the Chimays, and I looking at trying them all - next time I'm in Belgium. :biggrin:

I see that yomamma is being young and foolish. :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
A list of top 10 beers from around the world (from last year) -

Trappistes Rochefort 10
Westvleteren Abt. 12
Chimay Bleu
Duvel
Orval
Delirium Tremens
Koningshoeven (dubbel or tripel)
Westmalle
St. Bernardus Abt. 12
Maredsous 10
La Chouffe

I like the Chimays, and I looking at trying them all - next time I'm in Belgium. :biggrin:

I see that yomamma is being young and foolish. :rolleyes:

I have tried all of these beers several times and i say Duvel rocks, well and the Trappiste also, and the Westmalle prior to a bottle of Westvleteren...errr i like 'em all

marlon

marlon said:
I have tried all of these beers several times and i say Duvel rocks, well and the Trappiste also, and the Westmalle prior to a bottle of Westvleteren...errr i like 'em all

marlon

Gentleman,
It's your turn now!
You look quite experienced with beers!
Can you give me 10 reasons why beer is better than woman!

heman said:
Gentleman,
It's your turn now!
You look quite experienced with beers!
Can you give me 10 reasons why beer is better than woman!
NO!

No beer is better than woman!

Nothing is better than women! :smile: :cool:

Astronuc said:
NO!

No beer is better than woman!

Nothing is better than women! :smile: :cool:
Rats, I guess I should keep my 50 Reasons Beer is Better than Men to myself. :redface:

1. What caused the Belgian monks to run out of their world-famous beer?

The Belgian monks ran out of their beer due to a combination of factors, including a decrease in production and a higher demand for their beer globally. Additionally, the aging process of their beer requires years before it is ready to be sold, leading to a limited supply.

2. Will the Belgian monks be able to produce more of their famous beer in the future?

Yes, the Belgian monks have stated that they are working on increasing production in order to meet the high demand for their beer. However, the aging process cannot be rushed, so it may still take some time before the beer is readily available again.

3. Is the world's best beer from the Belgian monks still available for purchase?

Currently, the Belgian monks' beer is not available for purchase due to the shortage. Some retailers may still have limited stock, but it is expected to be sold out quickly. The monks have stated that they are working to replenish their supply as soon as possible.

4. Is there a chance that the Belgian monks' beer will never be available again?

While the monks have stated that they are working on increasing production, there is always a possibility that the beer may not be available again. The aging process and limited production make it difficult to keep up with the high demand for their beer.

5. What makes the Belgian monks' beer the best in the world?

The Belgian monks' beer is considered the best in the world due to its unique and complex flavor profile. The monks use traditional brewing methods and high-quality ingredients, along with their dedication and patience in the aging process, to create a one-of-a-kind beer that is highly sought after by beer enthusiasts worldwide.