Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belgium: PA textbooks not anti-Semitic

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    I wish this report is enough to show the reality of the Zionist propaganda about Palestinian education system. Currently Belgian goverment fund partially the Palestinian education system, so they sent several experts to investigate about the Zionists claims.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1121048977680

Although a new report states that some Palestinian Authority textbooks feature descriptions of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" as being an "integral part" of Zionist history that was approved in "a confidential resolution of the First Zionist Congress," the Belgian government says it is continuing to fund production of the textbooks and does not consider them offensive.

"We do not find [the textbooks] anti-Semitic in any way," said a spokesman from the Belgian government press office, speaking to The Jerusalem Post by telephone. "We have a screening process that goes through and reads the books. There has been some controversy about it in the past, but we have had people look into it."

However, other countries may be having second thoughts. While Finland, Italy and the Netherlands have also provided aid for PA textbooks in the past, this year's books only credit Belgium and "Arab nations" as providing aid.

Widely regarded as a cornerstone of anti-Semitic theory, the fabricated Protocols purport to disclose the secret plans of a Jewish conspiracy for world domination.

The description of the Protocols is one of many anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic statements made in PA textbooks, according to a report issued by the Center for Monitoring the Impact of Peace (CMIP) on Monday, a watchdog group.

The 122-page report notes that Israel is omitted from all maps of the Middle East, and that Palestinian martyrs are portrayed as "heroic" strugglers against the "occupying force."

"Unfortunately, the whole Palestinian Authority operation of publishing new books for schools has fallen short of the standards set by the international community," said Arnon Groiss, who wrote the report. "Until massive changes are made, I don't think that the Palestinian Authority's textbooks contribute to peace. The opposite is being done."

The PA Ministry of Education could not be reached for comment and did not return phone calls.

However, a document on the ministry's Web site says that the issue of incitement in PA textbooks is "a myth."

Claiming that CMIP has engaged in an "orchestrated crusade against Palestinian education," the ministry's document also denies that PA books incite hatred against Jews and says that it is, in fact, Israeli textbooks that incite hatred against the Palestinians.

"Those who are critical of what Palestinian children are learning should try to find out how Israeli children are taught to hate Arabs, and trained to kill them," the document says.

Prior to 1967 Jordanian textbooks were used for schools in the West Bank and Egyptian textbooks were used in the Gaza Strip.

"When we took over funding of the textbooks, we did so because we wanted to replace the totally outdated textbooks that had been used up to that point," said the Belgian spokesman. "We wanted them to stress social values, human rights and democracy."

In "A Study of the Impact of the Palestinian Curriculum," commissioned by the Belgian Technical Cooperation at the end of 2004, researchers concluded that in "light of the debate stirred by accusations of incitement to hatred and other criticisms of the Palestinian textbooks, there is no evidence at all of that happening as a result of the curriculum."

The report added that violence from "soldiers and settlers shooting in the streets and in schools" and "occupation" were preventing Palestinian children from realizing democratic values.

Members of CMIP claim that the other countries withdrew their funding of the books because of their content, but officials in those countries could not be reached for comment.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2
    Finland, Italy and the Netherlands are forced to stop supporting the Palestinian education system or building schools because the scared from the Zionist Lobby. Usually any European government reject the Israeli orders, they open their files in 2WW and their contribution in anti Semite.

Currently, Belgium, Japan, France and USA supporting the Palestinian to improve their education system, especially the age of 40% of the Palestinian is lower than 18 years, and we have one of the highest percentage of education in ME especially female (60% of undergraduate students are females).

I do believe that Belgium is brave nation and government because they reject to be slaves for the Zionists propaganda. This small country in Europe suffered a lot from the invaders , especially NAZI, during the last centuries.Therefore they understand well the suffering of nations under occupation. They also reject the aggression and they can not accept the ‘’cheap propaganda’’.

May God bless and protect this great country and nation

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    It is only fair to point out the controversy over "The Protocols":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocols_of_Zion

Particularly two things that are in conflict:

but also:

and

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Funny how the entire quote except for the bolded portions pretty strongly supports the position that the textbooks are anti-semetic.....

It also appears from what you quoted (can't get into the link) that the study does say the books are anti-semetic, its just the government that doesn't.

6. Jul 12, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the logic is easy enough to follow.

If you start with the assumption that there is nothing wrong with Palestinian textbooks, and the assumption that there is a Zionist conspiracy going on, it is quite reasonable to infer that this is the result of actions of said conspiracy, and kudos to Belgium for resisting its influence.

Of course, if you don't already believe in the conspiracy, you would get something entirely different from the article.

7. Jul 12, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My exact reaction as well. And the bolded parts are all from a Belgian spokesperson - talk about unbiased sources !

8. Jul 12, 2005 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

HERE is a copy of the report cited in the link. It states pretty clearly that the textbooks are anti-semetic. The Belgian government is saying pretty much the exact opposite of what the report says.

9. Jul 12, 2005 #8

Art

The first link is to a Jewish newspaper which not too surprisingly is critical of the PA teaching material and claims the books are anti-semitic. The second link to CMIP is also suspect. Following are extracts from their impartial site;

Here's what they say they do,

And here is what they have actually done per their own website;

So it would appear their scope is limited entirely to judging the worthiness of Arab schoolbooks. And here is an admission by themselves that their findings do not exactly receive widespread acceptance outside of Israel.
    Maybe I'm being overly suspicious but it looks a little like an organisation set up with the sole purpose of supporting Israel.

10. Jul 12, 2005 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If correct, that is still not justification for concluding the exact opposite of what the links say.

11. Jul 12, 2005 #10

Art

I'm not sure what you mean by if correct? The excerpts I posted are certainly correct. I cut and pasted them from the report. As to justification for reaching a contrary conclusion; I wasn't suggesting it was; merely that the report was not unbiased and so was itself not independently corroborative of the report in the Jerusalem Post
    Perhaps if someone could dig up the EU commission's response to the report it might throw some further light on whether the Belgians are right or wrong in their assertion that the PA school texts are not anti-semitic.

12. Jul 12, 2005 #11

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've be craeful there are so many organisations such as 'CAMERA' and 'MEMRI' to name the two most infamous ones, which claim to be media watchdogs of sorts, but are set-up with the purpose of of propaganda.

CMIP was founded by a Jewish settler in Israel who had formerly worked in PR for the right-wing of the Likkud party, it is just another propaganda organisation.

13. Jul 12, 2005 #12

Art

Looking at CMIP's web site I don't think they are trying too hard to hide their affiliations. I imagine their charter was drafted in such a fashion so they could avail of the benefits accruing from 'charitable status'

14. Jul 12, 2005 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It meant that my response did not depend on an evaluation of your post. (And since I did not evaluate it, I did not want to make a response suggesting I agreed with it)

It'd be good to hear the reasons behind Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands withdrawing their funding too.

15. Jul 12, 2005 #14

Art

Whatever the controversy regarding their authenticity I find it worrying that sellers such as Walmart have been pressurised into removing it from their sales lists. Following this precedent one could easily imagine the Da Vinci Code being removed for sale if pressure was applied by the catholic church who by all accounts are livid about it's assertions re Mary Magdalene.

16. Jul 12, 2005 #15

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually what aroused by suspicons more than anything else is that ii doesn't contain the names of the indivduals involved in the organisation which is a hallmark of these phoney watchdogs (geniune watchdogs do generally give names) as it makes it harder to join the dots to other organisatiosn with known agendas.

17. Jul 12, 2005 #16

Art

Yes I have noticed that most if not all of your posts consist of just one or two lines and are careful to avoid stating a firm opinion yet they are also designed to subtly undermine. Interestingly, especially as you are a super mentor I believe per Wikipedia this is a tactic normally associated with trolling. :confused:
    For what it's worth for those interested in actually forming an opinion on the OP here's the US response;
    It's unlikely the US state dep't through congress would have commissioned an anti-semitic research group to conduct this review and congress itself is not usually considered anti-semitic so this seems pretty persuasive that perhaps the Belgians are correct.

18. Jul 12, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Entirely" ?

This is from the part you quoted : (emphasis added by me)

Now what was that objection again to a statement that the correctness of your post was not endorsed ?

Let's not even get into how this is supposed to be a true representation of the quote that followed it.

19. Jul 12, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And for completeness, would you please throw in a link to the source as well ?

20. Jul 12, 2005 #19

Art

And this I believe Wikipedia refers to as a straw man argument whereby you create a position attribute it to someone else and then attack it. Perhaps you'd like to show where I requested endorsement :rolleyes:

Are you disagreeing with the quote? Or are you saying the quote doesn't say other bodies disagreed with it's findings? :confused: BTW you can add the USA to that list.

As to the impartiality of the report the post below also suggests it is biased,

highlighting added by me

21. Jul 12, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you admit that your post was either (i)unintentionally incorrect, or (ii) deliberately misleading ?

Perhaps you'd like to show where I claimed that you requested endorsement :rolleyes:. And if you don't think I did, why should I show you anything ?

Hah ! And this is how you described the quote earlier ? No. You said : "And here is an admission by themselves that their findings do not exactly receive widespread acceptance outside of Israel."

I refer to this as 'changing your words (and hoping nobody notices)'. You tell me what Wikipedia calls it.

And I repeat my request for a link to your source (quoting the US response).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?