Solving a Belief Network Problem with Car Starting: A Bayesian Approach

• Thread starter sensitive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary: This is because the probability distribution must sum to 1.Consequently:P(S = N|F = N) = P(S = N|T = Y, F = N) (1 - P(T = N)) + P(S = N|T = N, F = N) P(T = N)You can getP(S = N|T = Y, F = N) = 0.92, given.I think you can also getP(S = N|T = N, F = N) = 1.0, given the following data:P(S = N|T = N, F = N) = 1.0P(S = N|T = N,
sensitive
I am having problem solving this exercise. The problem actually comes with a diagram but I do not know and I do not think i can draw it in the forum. The exercise is based on car starting(Heckerman 1995)

Since I can't draw the network diagram here but values of probability are given but first let me define all the variables

B - Battery
G - Gauge
F - Fuel
T - Turnover
S - Start
N - No
Y - Yes

P(B = N) = 0.02
p(F = N) = 0.05
P(G = N|B = Y, F = Y) = 0.04
P(G = N|B = Y, F = N) = 0.97
P(G = N|B = N, F = Y) = 0.10
P(G = N|B = N, F = N) = 0.99
P(T = N|B = Y) = 0.03
P(T = N|B = N) = 0.98
P(S = N|T = Y, F = Y) = 0.01
P(S = N|T = Y, F = N) = 0.92
P(S = N|T = N, F = Y) = 1.0
P(S = N|T = N, F = N) = 1.0

It was asked to calculate p(F = N|S = N)

Im thinking of Bayesian but I got stuck somewhere so I think it is the wrong approach since S depend on F and T NOT F alone.

Im thinking of the other approach and came up with an expression

P(F = N|S = N) = P(S = N|F = N)/P(F)
= P(S = N, B, G, T|F = N)/P(F)

But I am not sure how to compute and put the figures together.

Any input/help is appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get P(F = N|S = N) = P(S = N|F = N)/P(F) ?

P(F = N|S = N) = P(S = N & F = N)/P(S = N) and P(S = N|F = N) = P(S = N & F = N)/P(F = N) so P(S = N & F = N) = P(F = N|S = N)P(S = N) = P(S = N|F = N)P(F = N).

So the Bayesian approach was right. I taught I was wrong at the first place because using Bayesian ended up with the following

P(S = N|F = N) P(F = N)/ P(S = N)

but from the diagram I have and as you can see from the probabilities, S depend on both F and T and in the expression above we want to know the probability of S = N given that F = N (in other words the probability that the engine will not start given that the fuel tank was empty).

I am still having trouble solving P(S = N|F = N).

please help...

Below, I assume that the notation (A|B,C) means (A|B)|C = A|(B|C), and neither A|(B & C) nor (A|B) & C. (If anyone disagrees, please post your opinion.)

P(S = N|F = N) = P(S = N|T = Y, F = N) P(T = Y) + P(S = N|T = N, F = N) P(T = N) so you should first derive P(T = Y) and P(T = N).

You can derive P(T=N) from:
P(B = N) = 0.02
P(T = N|B = Y) = 0.03
P(T = N|B = N) = 0.98
using a formula similar to the one in the previous paragraph of this post.

Then, P(T=Y) = 1 - P(T=N).

Last edited:

1. What is a belief network problem?

A belief network problem is a type of graphical model that represents the relationships between variables and their probabilities. It is used to model complex systems and make predictions based on available information.

2. How is a belief network problem different from other types of graphical models?

A belief network problem differs from other graphical models in that it takes into account the conditional dependencies between variables. This means that the probability of a variable can be affected by the values of other variables in the network.

3. What are the applications of belief network problems?

Belief network problems have a wide range of applications, including risk assessment, decision making, medical diagnosis, and predictive modeling in various industries such as finance and marketing.

4. How are belief network problems constructed?

Belief network problems are constructed by first identifying the variables and their relationships within a system. Then, probabilities are assigned to each variable based on available data or expert knowledge. Finally, the network is constructed by connecting the variables with arrows to indicate their dependencies.

5. What are the benefits of using belief network problems?

Belief network problems offer a way to represent complex systems and make predictions based on available information. They also allow for incorporating uncertain or incomplete data, and can handle large amounts of variables. Additionally, belief network problems can be updated and refined as new data becomes available, making them a flexible and powerful tool for decision making and problem solving.