What is the Lifespan of a Belleville Washer?

• Thread starter Ranger Mike
  • Start date
In summary, Belleville washers are conical-shaped springs used for various purposes such as applying pre-load to a bolted joint or bearing. They can also act as locking devices but only under low dynamic loads. Their expected lifespan is indefinite unless subjected to high temperatures or fatigue. However, there may be wear and movement between the steel washer and aluminum surface, causing the joint to loosen over time. In some cases, the Belleville washers may flip direction when overstressed, but this is not a common occurrence. In the case of using the washer in a dynamic application, the manufacturer advises against it due to potential wear and movement between the parts.
Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A Belleville washer, also known as a coned-disc spring, conical spring washer, disc spring, Belleville spring or cupped spring washer, is a type of spring shaped like a washer. It has a frusto-conical shape which gives the washer a spring characteristic.

Belleville washers are typically used as springs, or to apply a pre-load or flexible quality to a bolted joint or bearing.

They may also be used as locking devices, but only in applications with low dynamic loads.

what is the expected life of the typical belleville washer?
how long until it will loose tension? loosen up?

Attachments

• Belleville_washer.jpg
    Belleville_washer.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 530
Engineering news on Phys.org
How long do you need it to last? I've seen them used in slip-clutches before and typically if they do not overheat they last indefinately.

Thanks for the input..the machine tool application is to locate air bearings on an aluminum guide way. the machine has movement in X , Y and Z direction. It seems to me that over time the washer would relax and the air gap would increase. Aluminum expands with temperature and the washers prevent galling of the aluminum i guess...

Hi Mike,
I don't think there will be any creep in the material unless it's operating at very high temperature, but since it's mated with aluminum, it doesn't sound like your temperature will be that high. Steel (and virtually any material) can be subject to fatigue which is the gradual development of cracks in material due to cyclic stresses and you've indicated that may be the case here. But fatigue generally doesn't cause the material to change dimensions until the crack grows to the point of breaking, at which point you have a catastrophic failure. What may be an issue in this case is movement between the steel belleville washer and the aluminum. When you have movement between two parts, regardless of material type, there's often some kind of wear between the two. One or both parts begins losing material, so the joint would loosen up over time. So I think to answer your question, you shouldn't expect the washer to change shape over time unless you have stresses so high you get yielding or failure, and belleville washers are generally designed to go flat without yielding.

When overstressed, I have seen stacks of Bellevilles 'flip' direction.

enigma said:
When overstressed, I have seen stacks of Bellevilles 'flip' direction.
Really? That would be pretty wild.

The application in this scenario is similar to the attached pic. The air bearings are gliding over the precision surface..in the illustration a 2 micron air gap is used when GRANITE ways are used..the air gap goes to .0254mm (.001") or even 0.003" inch when aluminum is used..hence the belleville washer is used...but is this not a DYNAMIC application...exactly whet the washer manufacturer advises against?

hey..it might be nit pickling but is concern not valid in this case?

Attachments

• BEARINGS.JPG
    BEARINGS.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 500

1. What is a Belleville washer?

A Belleville washer is a type of spring washer that is conical in shape and can be stacked to create a stronger force. It is commonly used in applications where a high amount of spring tension is needed, such as in industrial equipment and machinery.

2. What is the function of a Belleville washer?

The main function of a Belleville washer is to provide a constant load or tension on the joint it is used in. It can also be used to compensate for thermal expansion or to maintain a tight seal in a joint.

3. What is the lifespan of a Belleville washer?

The lifespan of a Belleville washer depends on several factors, such as the material it is made of, the amount of load it is subjected to, and the frequency of use. A well-maintained Belleville washer can last for several years.

4. How do I determine the lifespan of a Belleville washer?

The best way to determine the lifespan of a Belleville washer is to consult the manufacturer or refer to the specifications provided by the supplier. They can provide information on the expected lifespan based on the material, load capacity, and other factors.

5. Can the lifespan of a Belleville washer be extended?

Yes, the lifespan of a Belleville washer can be extended by proper maintenance and handling. This includes regular inspections for wear and tear, keeping it clean and free of debris, and using it within its recommended load capacity. It is also important to use the correct size and material for the specific application.