How Can Bell's Inequality Be Transformed into the CHSH Inequality?

As for the summary, In summary, the CHSH Inequality can be derived from Bell's inequality by expanding the equation and ensemble-averaging. This inequality, also known as the CHSH inequality, states that |<ab> + <a'b> + <ab'> - <a'b'>| </= 2. However, the EPR state generally cannot satisfy this inequality.
cscott

Homework Statement

I need to get the CHSH inequality from Bell's inequality

Homework Equations

|C(a, b) - C(a, b')| + |C(a', b) - C(a', b')| <= 2

to

-2 <= C(a, b) - C(a, b') + C(a', b) + C(a', b') <= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the CHSH allows for no correlation of 0 but I can't get anywhere. I think my math with inequalities just sucks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:

Homework Statement

I need to get the CHSH inequality from Bell's inequality

Homework Equations

to

-2 <= C(a, b) - C(a, b') + C(a', b) + C(a', b') <= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the CHSH allows for no correlation of 0 but I can't get anywhere. I think my math with inequalities just sucks.

The above looks a bit confused. How about this trick?

(1) (a + a')b + (a - a')b' = +/-2;

since (a + a') = 0 AND (a - a') = +/-2, XOR (a + a') = +/-2 AND (a - a') = 0.

So, expanding (1):

(2) ab + a'b + ab' - a'b' = +/-2.

Then, ensemble-averaging:

(3) <ab> + <a'b> + <ab'> - <a'b'> </= +/-2.

Or:

(4) |<ab> + <a'b> + <ab'> - <a'b'>| </= 2;

where <ab> = C(ab), etc. (4) is known as the CHSH Inequality; and the real trick is to see why EPR-Bell tests cannot (in general) satisfy (4).

JenniT said:
The above looks a bit confused. How about this trick?

(1) (a + a')b + (a - a')b' = +/-2;

since (a + a') = 0 AND (a - a') = +/-2, XOR (a + a') = +/-2 AND (a - a') = 0.

So, expanding (1):

(2) ab + a'b + ab' - a'b' = +/-2.

Then, ensemble-averaging:

(3) <ab> + <a'b> + <ab'> - <a'b'> </= +/-2.

Or:

(4) |<ab> + <a'b> + <ab'> - <a'b'>| </= 2;

where <ab> = C(ab), etc. (4) is known as the CHSH Inequality; and the real trick is to see why EPR-Bell tests cannot (in general) satisfy (4).

Very nice answer, sir. Now I'd like to ask what you lead to: why cannot the EPR state satisfy the Bell inequality generally?

mmmrrrrrrr said:
Very nice answer, sir. Now I'd like to ask what you lead to: why cannot the EPR state satisfy the Bell inequality generally?

Good question, but it's a homework question at our school. So please follow the PF homework rules.

As a scientist, my response would be that Bell's inequality and CHSH (Clauser-Horne-Shimony-Holt) inequality both address the concept of local realism in quantum mechanics. Bell's inequality states that if local realism is true, then the correlations between measurements on entangled particles must satisfy certain mathematical constraints. CHSH inequality is a more refined version of Bell's inequality, which allows for a larger range of possible outcomes and better distinguishes between quantum mechanics and local realism.

To obtain CHSH inequality from Bell's inequality, you can use the fact that |C(a, b) - C(a, b')| <= 1 and |C(a', b) - C(a', b')| <= 1. This can be derived from the properties of correlation coefficients. Substituting these values into the original Bell's inequality, we get:

|C(a, b) - C(a, b')| <= 1 and |C(a', b) - C(a', b')| <= 1

Therefore, -2 <= C(a, b) - C(a, b') + C(a', b) + C(a', b') <= 2

This is the CHSH inequality, which allows for a larger range of possible correlations between measurements on entangled particles. It is important to note that this does not prove or disprove local realism, but rather provides a way to experimentally test for its validity.

In conclusion, Bell's inequality and CHSH inequality both play important roles in understanding the nature of quantum mechanics and local realism. By deriving CHSH inequality from Bell's inequality, we can further investigate the correlations between entangled particles and potentially shed light on the true nature of reality.

What is Bell's inequality?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical representation of the limits of classical physics in explaining the correlations between distant particles in quantum mechanics.

What is CHSH?

CHSH stands for Clauser-Horne-Shimony-Holt, which is a test in quantum mechanics that was designed to experimentally test Bell's inequality.

What is the significance of Bell's inequality to CHSH?

The significance of Bell's inequality to CHSH is that it provides a way to experimentally test the predictions of quantum mechanics against those of classical physics. If the results of the CHSH test violate Bell's inequality, it suggests that quantum mechanics is a more accurate description of reality than classical physics.

What are the key assumptions in Bell's inequality?

The key assumptions in Bell's inequality are realism, locality, and free will. Realism refers to the belief that objects exist independently of observation, locality refers to the idea that distant objects cannot have instantaneous communication, and free will refers to the ability of particles to choose their own states.

What are the implications of violating Bell's inequality?

If Bell's inequality is violated, it suggests that quantum mechanics is a more accurate description of reality than classical physics. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe and could lead to new developments in technology and communication.