1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bell's inequality

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to understand a part of the text where they prove QM doesn't satisfy Bell's inequality. I get how he derives the inequality. Apparently it's same as Sakuri (1985) and Townsend (2000). Problem is I lose him as soon as he starts the main part. Quoting almost directly,

Consider a qubit oriented in an arbitrary direction. Consider a unit vector [tex]\vec{n} = \sin \theta \cos\phi \hat{x} + \sin \theta \sin\phi \hat{y} + \cos \theta \hat{z}[/tex]. The eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n} [/tex] are..

[tex]|+_n \rangle = \cos \frac{\theta }{2} |0 \rangle + e^{i\phi }\cos \frac{\theta }{2} |1 \rangle[/tex]

[tex]|-_n \rangle = \cos \frac{\theta }{2} |0 \rangle - e^{i\phi }\cos \frac{\theta }{2} |1 \rangle[/tex]

He then goes on to interpret [tex]|\langle 0|+_n\rangle |^2[/tex] as a probability & i can follow from there. I just don't get the bit I posted. The hint is to consider the x & y axes, eg to get the eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma \cdot \hat{x} [/tex] set [tex]\theta =\pi /2[/tex] & [tex]\phi =0[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2
    The key is to understand what [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n}[/tex] means. This is a dot product of matrices (Pauli matrices) times scalars (components of [tex]\vec{n}[/tex]. Let's just look at the first component. You will take the x Pauli matrix times by the x component of [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] to get [tex]\sigma_{x} n_{x}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{array} \right) \sin \theta \cos\phi=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & \sin\theta\cos\phi \\ \sin\theta\cos\phi & 0\end{array} \right)[/tex]. You do the same for the y and z components and add them all up to get your matrix, [tex]\sigma \cdot \vec{n}[/tex]. Find the eigenvectors of it and you should get what you gave from the book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?