Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Belly fat and Blood pressure

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    From New Scientist:

"It sounds like the perfect remedy for modern life: a pill that simultaneously reduces both belly fat and blood pressure. And it may already exist."

Has anyone ever heard of a patient on ACE inhibitors report they are losing belly fat?

I'm only slightly interested in this. :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, a moderation note: As of the time of this posting, Jase doesn't have enough posts to include a link in his/her post. If I receive one via PM, I will help edit it in (or perhaps Jase will have enough posts by then to append one him/herself).

Second, since we don't yet have a link to the original article, I can only answer generally based on anecdotal experience...the few people I've known who take ACE inhibitors to control blood pressure have not lost any fat. To the contrary, they have continued gaining weight. But, they could be exceptions, or maybe it was an overall weight gain, but not so much in the belly (I wasn't chasing after them with tape measures). But, I'm curious to see the full article.

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I believe it is this article:

Pill burns fat without dieting or exercise

5. Apr 29, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, done with knockout mice, not with an actual ACE inhibitor. That's always questionable, because you don't know what other developmental stages have been affected by the gene knockout that could be responsible for the reduced fat (and, really, it's not quite correct to say it "reduces" body fat, since it sounds like those mice never actually put on that fat). That's a different scenario than reducing fat in someone who already is overweight. I'm not quite sure that abdominal fat in mice translates well to abdominal fat in people either.

6. Apr 29, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What bothers me is a headline that would seem to infer "We have a pill! Diet and exercise not necessary."

Preventative health care (through proper diet and exercise) should be emphasized/encouraged, rather than medical treatment after the fact. IIRC, problems such as diabetes are irreversible, i.e. once the damage is done, there is ongoing treatment without a cure necessarily.

7. Apr 29, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's New Scientist for you. They have a strong tendency toward overly hyped headlines. The stories are interesting and informative, but the casual reader does come away thinking something much more sensational has been discovered than really has.

8. Apr 30, 2008 #7
    It is a sad fact that a quick fix is more appealing than preventative action.

And that New Scientist is the extent of the tabloid science writers research.

I was going for a few cheap laughs posting the headline.

I should have posted in the General discussion forum as the misuse of research findings to grab our attention is worthy of consideration, the headline itself probably wasn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?