Solving Belt Around Pulleys Homework: 0.6 m/s, 1.44 m/s2, 1.56 m/s2

• Thread starter pconn5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belt
In summary, the belt velocity is 0.6 m/s, the belt acceleration is 1.44 m/s2, and the total acceleration of point B is 1.56 m/s2. To find these values, you can use equations for normal acceleration and angular acceleration, and derive equations using Newton's second law and the moment of inertia.
pconn5

Homework Statement

A belt passes over two pulleys O1 (radius R1= 0.4 m) and O2 (radius R2 = 0.6 m) as shown, and points A and B are on the rim of the pulleys. The normal acceleration at A is 0.9 m/s2 and the angular acceleration of pulley O1 is 3.6 rad/s2. Find (a) the belt velocity υb, (b) the belt acceleration ab, and (c) the acceleration of B.

Homework Equations

a n= v^2/R
angular acceleration and velocity equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a by using a n=v^2/R... so .9 = v^2/.4, v = .6 which is correct. I do not know how to go about finding the other values at all.

answers: (a) 0.6 m/s (b) 1.44 m/s2 (c) 1.56 m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw free body diagrams for your two pulleys, label all the forces acting on them, including torques, and use Newtons second law to derive equations that can help you solve for your unknowns. You may have to look up the moment of inertia of a pulley (a cylinder I suppose?)

How's VTech? haha, I just finished it, and I'll post now:

so we have:

r1=.4 m
r2=.6 m
Ana= .9 m/s^2 (this is normal acceleration for point A)
alpha1= 3.6 rad/s^2 (this is angular acceleration for O1)

In order to find Belt Velocity we...

Ana=(wa^2)(r1) => wa=sqrt((Ana)/r1)) = 1.5 => v=wr=(1.5)(.4)=.6m/s

In order to find Belt Acceleration we...

at (tangential acceleration) = (alpha1)(r1) = 1.44 m/s^2

In order to find acceleration of B:

we know that at above =1.44m/s^2

we can solve for Anb=(v^2)/(r2)=(.6^2)/(.6)=.6
so TOTAL acceleration of aT

aT=sqrt((at^2)+(Anb^2))=1.56 m/s^2

Sorry about the sloppy notation :-/

What is the equation for calculating belt speed around pulleys?

The equation for calculating belt speed around pulleys is: Speed = Diameter x π x RPM, where the diameter is in meters, π is approximately 3.14, and RPM is the revolutions per minute of the pulley.

What is the acceleration of the belt around the pulleys?

The acceleration of the belt around the pulleys is 1.56 m/s2. This can be calculated using the equation Acceleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Time, where the final velocity is 1.44 m/s and the initial velocity is 0.6 m/s.

How do I solve for the diameter of the pulleys?

To solve for the diameter of the pulleys, you can use the equation Diameter = Speed / (π x RPM). Plug in the known values for the speed and RPM to solve for the diameter in meters.

What is the difference between belt speed and belt velocity?

Belt speed and belt velocity are often used interchangeably, but they refer to different quantities. Belt speed is the distance traveled by the belt per unit of time, while belt velocity is the speed and direction of the belt's motion. In this problem, the belt speed is 1.44 m/s, while the belt velocity is 1.44 m/s in one direction.

How do I find the time it takes for the belt to reach a certain speed?

To find the time it takes for the belt to reach a certain speed, you can use the equation Time = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Acceleration. Plug in the known values for the final and initial velocities, as well as the acceleration, to solve for the time in seconds.