What Are the Benefits of Using Regenerative Conveyor Systems in Mining Projects?

In summary, the design of a belt conveyor system is influenced by the variables angle of surcharge, tons per hour required, conveyor incline, and conveyor length.
hpla
hey >>>>

i have tow Questions about conveyor design:

What are the Variables influencing the design of conveyor ?

all i know is : Angle of surcharge

Engineering news on Phys.org
And the second question is?

What kind of conveyors?

If you want to know about design of belt conveyors for bulk materials, pick up a copy of CEMA: Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials, 6th edition

The CEMA: Belt Design reference books/ cd/dvd, etc, (and other important items in this subject) are available here:

http://www.cemanet.org/safety-publications/

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that CEMA will explain it all, but a quick point about the main factors:

-Belt feed bulk density
-Surcharge Angle
-Tons per hour required (thus feet per second of belt speed required)
-Conveyor incline needed
-Conveyor length needed

Also if controlled feed rates are required then you will need brake zones or alternate methods of spacing. Designs on automated conveyer systems vary. Such examples is accuglide roller bed conveyers. This design uses diaghram cups to lift a belt or chain under sections to drive the rollers.

There are numerous designs so something like the book mentioned above is a worthwhile purchase.

I spent some time researching regenerative conveyor systems last spring, for a mining project. From my point of view, I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel if the project goes ahead, by hiring engineers, etc: I'd just invite the big companies into bid on the design and construction of the conveyor system, etc. There the ones who'll end up building and installing the parts anyways, so they can throw in the engineering and design for less than I could hire a crew to do this from the start.

That's my opinion, at any rate...

The regenerative conveyor is one that carries material down hill, and this part of the conveyor system generates a lot of electricity while doing so. Quite a bit, when one has a 500+ meter fall over about 1 km. The electricity produced could make up nearly 20-25% of the mine's required energy, and cut down CO2 created by diesel-powered equipment (fewer heavy machines, shorter hauls), and reduce the wear and tear on those as a bonus.

We may be able to capture more energy like this, as well, if the project goes ahead, and if other theoretical systems can be engineered and scaled up.

1. What factors should be considered when designing a belt conveyor?

When designing a belt conveyor, several factors must be taken into account: the type of material being transported, the weight and volume of the material, the speed and incline of the conveyor, the desired flow rate, the distance the material needs to travel, and any specific requirements for the application.

2. How do you determine the appropriate belt width for a conveyor?

The belt width for a conveyor is typically determined by the width of the material being transported, plus any additional clearance required. It is important to consider the maximum load and volume of the material to ensure the belt can handle the weight and flow rate without causing excessive wear or damage.

3. What is the recommended belt speed for a conveyor?

The recommended belt speed for a conveyor depends on the type of material being transported and the desired flow rate. In general, a slower belt speed is recommended for heavier and bulkier materials to prevent spillage or damage to the belt, while a faster speed may be suitable for lighter materials. The speed should also be adjusted to avoid excessive wear and tear on the belt.

4. How do you calculate the power requirements for a belt conveyor?

The power requirements for a belt conveyor can be calculated by multiplying the belt speed by the weight of the material being transported. This will give the required horsepower for the motor driving the conveyor. It is also important to factor in the friction and resistance of the belt and any additional components, such as rollers or pulleys, to accurately determine the power requirements.

5. What types of materials are suitable for a belt conveyor?

Belt conveyors are suitable for a wide range of materials, including bulk materials, packaged goods, and even delicate or fragile items. Some common materials that can be transported using a belt conveyor include grains, coal, gravel, sand, metal parts, and food products. The type of material being transported will impact the design and specifications of the conveyor.