Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belt Driven Spindle

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    -Lineshaft_drive_to_lathe,_with_stepped_pulleys_for_variable_speed_(Carpentry_and_Joinery,_1925).jpg
    The system is similar to above. Say I have calculated the required power at the spindle and various speeds (rpm) the spindle needs to run at. I am not sure on how to choose the constant speed of the counter shaft. For the motor HP i am thinking it is just Pmotor = Pspindle/Efficiency.
    Also not sure how I should go on about choosing the spindle shaft diameter.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I understand your question. The speed (rpm) of the spindle and counter shaft are related by the ratio of the pulley diameters...

Spindle RPM / Countershaft RPM = Countershaft Pulley Diameter / Spindle Pulley Diameter

The example in the picture is..

563/800 = 4.75" / 6.75" = 0.704

There is no "right" answer for the countershaft rpm. Pulleys are only available in certain standard sizes so the problem is one of finding a motor (with suitable rated RPM) and combination of pulleys that give the right answer for the spindle rpm(s). Perhaps start with a pulley catalogue and set up a spreadsheet?

Correct.

4. Dec 11, 2015 #3
    But how would I choose the spindle diameter? I understand that I can change the pulley diameters to get the desired rpm for the spindle. But wouldn't the inner diameter of the pulley depend on how big or small the spindle shaft diameter is?

5. Dec 11, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The diameter of the spindle and/or countershaft don't effect the RPM. They only have to be strong enough to handle the torque. It's normal to oversize so that the shaft can handle the twice the maximum torque of the motor. If you know the max power then...

Power (Watts) = Torque (Newton Meters) * Angular Velocity (Rads/S)

Angular Velocity can be calculated from the RPM.

or if you prefer

Power (HP) = Torque (pound-feet) * RPM/5252

Once you have the max torque (with a safety factor) there are tables for typical shaft diameters...

http://joycedayton.com/products/system-accessories/shafting/shafting-diameter-chart

or you can work out the diameter based on the material and the max allowed stress but that's beyond my experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook