Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belt drives

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    to be honest i dont know if this is the right place to be but i got a question,
    if i have a belt drive consisting of two pulleys what is the equation to find the angle of lap,the tight side tension and number of belts required? ive completely forgot how to do this stuff

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    oh come on you know you want to help me, please?

4. Feb 8, 2007 #3
    Not enough info. What is the application?

5. Feb 10, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

6. Feb 12, 2007 #5
    Nice link Fred. I have belt selection books from 2 manufacturers but this online reference is handy.

7. Feb 15, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't get a chance to use belt drives very often. When I do, I like to take a look at that link. Glad you like it.

8. Feb 15, 2007 #7

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Fred, just thought I'd let you know about something I found while poking around in the Machine Design and Analysis package for MathCAD-

Machine Design and Analysis: Section 1.13- Selecting a V-Belt

It runs you through the entire process laid out in that website link, from horsepower ratings, to Service factors, etc. Interestingly it also has sections on selecting leather, rubber, or multiple V-belts; along with all of that is timing belts, wire-rope drives, and of course gear trains, bearings and shafts, springs, ... Holy moley it's got a lot in there.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?