Finding the Angle of Lap, Tight Side Tension, & Belts for a Pulley Belt Drive

In summary, The conversation is about finding the equation to determine the angle of lap, tight side tension, and number of belts needed for a belt drive consisting of two pulleys. The person asking for help shares a link to a website with information on selecting V-belts, and another person mentions finding helpful information in a Machine Design and Analysis package for MathCAD.
loz3002
to be honest i don't know if this is the right place to be but i got a question,
if i have a belt drive consisting of two pulleys what is the equation to find the angle of lap,the tight side tension and number of belts required? I've completely forgot how to do this stuff

Engineering news on Phys.org
oh come on you know you want to help me, please?

Not enough info. What is the application?

http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/V-belts/home.html

Nice link Fred. I have belt selection books from 2 manufacturers but this online reference is handy.

I don't get a chance to use belt drives very often. When I do, I like to take a look at that link. Glad you like it.

FredGarvin said:
I don't get a chance to use belt drives very often. When I do, I like to take a look at that link. Glad you like it.

Hey Fred, just thought I'd let you know about something I found while poking around in the Machine Design and Analysis package for MathCAD-

Machine Design and Analysis: Section 1.13- Selecting a V-Belt

It runs you through the entire process laid out in that website link, from horsepower ratings, to Service factors, etc. Interestingly it also has sections on selecting leather, rubber, or multiple V-belts; along with all of that is timing belts, wire-rope drives, and of course gear trains, bearings and shafts, springs, ... Holy moley it's got a lot in there.

Last edited:

1. What is the angle of lap in a pulley belt drive?

The angle of lap in a pulley belt drive refers to the angle at which the belt wraps around the pulley. It is usually measured in degrees and is important in determining the amount of friction and power transmission in the system.

2. How is the angle of lap calculated?

The angle of lap can be calculated using the formula: θ = sin^-1 (2*C/P), where θ is the angle of lap, C is the distance between the pulley centers, and P is the pitch of the belt. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the distance between the pulley centers and the length of the belt using a protractor.

3. What is tight side tension in a pulley belt drive?

Tight side tension refers to the amount of tension applied to the tight side of the belt in a pulley belt drive. It is important to maintain proper tension to ensure efficient power transmission and prevent slipping or excessive wear of the belt.

4. How is tight side tension determined in a pulley belt drive?

Tight side tension is determined by factors such as the belt material, width, and length, as well as the load and speed of the system. It can be calculated using various equations or measured using a tension gauge.

5. What is the importance of proper belt selection in a pulley belt drive?

Proper belt selection is crucial in a pulley belt drive as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the system. Factors such as belt material, size, and tension must be carefully considered to ensure the belt can handle the load and speed requirements and minimize wear and tear.