Vertical Roller Belt Assembly: Understanding F = S1-S2

In summary: The belt also has "shovels" that pick up sand on the way up and then they come down again on the other side to pick up more. This makes a difference because it creates a lateral force.
TSN79
Two rollers have a belt that goes between them, like a conveyerbelt. The assembly stands vertical. The lowest of the rolls have a force that acts on its center, and downwards. My book says that this force F can be written as

[tex]F=S_1-S_2[/tex]

where S are the forces that the belt produces as a reaction to F. I would have guessed

[tex]F=S_1+S_2[/tex]

since the two S forces would take up half of the force F each. Why is it not so?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pass. Typo?

Well, there are small "shovels" on the belt that picks up sand on the way up and then they come down again on the other side to pick up more. Does this make a difference?

Aha, I was waiting for the extra information!

Sounds a tad like homework. Ask yourself what the purpose of such a belt is. Do you think having these buckets makes a difference?

First, it's not "homework", I have the whole solution here, but I just don't see why there is a minus and not a pluss sign in the equation that's all. I'm thinking that if the belt had a "mind of its own" it wouldn't want to move. So on the side where it goes up, it tries to resist and so S points downward. On the other side the belt goes down, and so it also tries to resist this movement and so S point upwards here. Am I on to something at all with this thought?

Maybe it's just because I have no particular knowledge in this area, and anything that vaguely resembles a formula scares the hell out of me, but one thing strikes me as a little odd. As nearly as my common sense tells me, the force on the bottom roller should be upward since its only purpose is to hold the bottom of the belt down. There should also, I think, be a lateral force when the buckets dig into the sand and drag it sideways before heading up. Am I missing something here?

A belt can only be in tension, so the belt on either side of the roller can only produce an upward force.

What is a vertical roller belt assembly?

A vertical roller belt assembly is a mechanical system that uses a series of rollers and belts to transport materials or objects in a vertical direction.

What is the purpose of understanding F = S1-S2?

F = S1-S2 is a formula used to calculate the force required for a vertical roller belt assembly to move objects or materials. Understanding this formula can help in designing and optimizing the performance of the assembly.

How does a vertical roller belt assembly work?

The assembly works by using a series of rollers and belts that are placed at specific angles and distances to create a continuous loop. The rotation of the rollers and movement of the belts allows for the vertical movement of objects or materials.

What factors can affect the performance of a vertical roller belt assembly?

The performance of a vertical roller belt assembly can be affected by various factors such as the weight and size of the objects being transported, the speed and angle of the rollers, and the tension of the belts. Other factors may include the type and condition of the belts and rollers, as well as any external forces or obstructions.

How is F = S1-S2 calculated and what does it represent?

F = S1-S2 is calculated by subtracting the tension on the top side of the belt (S1) from the tension on the bottom side of the belt (S2). This calculation represents the net force acting on the belt, which is necessary for the vertical movement of objects or materials.