Finding Load on Pulley Shafts with Belt Drives

In summary, the individual shaft loads in a belt pulley system with 3-4 pulleys can be found by using textbook equations and mechanics principles. Additional resources such as books, materials, and websites may also be helpful in this process. However, a clear drawing or diagram may be necessary for a more accurate calculation.
Analysis
Dear all,

My objective is to find shaft load in which belt pulley is mounted and load being transmitted via belt.
In the case of two pulley belt drives ,the load to the pulley mounting shafts calculation can found by getting guidance in almost all textbooks(T1 &T2 relations). Where in my case 3 as well as 4 pulleys and one single belt transmit the power. Now i need to find each pulley shaft load what is the procedure to be followed?Any belt hand books dealing this?

Ref.books,ref.materials,sites are welcome

Thanks
prakash

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question isn't very clear. Can you put up a drawing?

Do you mean a shaft with one pulley getting the power & transferring it to other shafts through other pulleys on the same shaft?

For ur clarification fig is attached.

Thank u
Prakash

Attachments

• belt pulley.PNG
    belt pulley.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 453
Sorry, the question still isn't very clear to me.

I assume you are trying to calculate the forces in the belt. You can calculate it using simple mechanics

[tex]^{F}1[/tex]-[tex]^{F}2[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{^{F}1}{{F}2}[/tex]=[tex]_{e}\mu\theta[/tex].

Duh, sorry can't get the latex going:mad:

Anyways, there are 3 pulleys, so three unknown forces & three equations to solve. Good luck.:smile:

1. How do I calculate the load on a pulley shaft with a belt drive?

The load on a pulley shaft with a belt drive can be calculated by using the formula: Load = (T1 + T2)/2 * R, where T1 and T2 are the tensions on either side of the belt and R is the radius of the pulley. You can also use online calculators or software programs to make the calculation easier.

2. What factors affect the load on a pulley shaft with a belt drive?

The load on a pulley shaft can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the object being moved, the tension and angle of the belt, the speed of the belt, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley.

3. What are the different types of belt drives?

There are three main types of belt drives: flat belts, V-belts, and timing belts. Flat belts are used for low power and high-speed applications, V-belts are used for high power and low-speed applications, and timing belts are used for precise positioning and synchronization.

4. How do I ensure the pulley shaft can handle the calculated load?

The pulley shaft should be designed and selected based on the calculated load, taking into consideration factors such as the material, diameter, and strength of the shaft. It is important to also consider the maximum load the shaft can handle before any deformation or failure occurs.

5. Can I use the same formula for all types of belt drives?

While the basic formula for calculating load on a pulley shaft is the same for all types of belt drives, it is important to also consider the specific design and characteristics of each type of belt drive. For example, V-belts have different coefficients of friction and angles of wrap compared to timing belts, so adjustments may need to be made in the calculation for more accurate results.