1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belts and Friction

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flat belt is used to transmit the 25 ld-ft torque developed by an electric motor. the drum in contact with the belt has a diameter of 6 in., and the coefficient of static friction between the belt and the drum is 0.30. Determine the minimum allowable value of the tension in each pert of the belt if the belt is not to slip.

2. Relevant equations

T1=T2e^(µß)
    ß=2.79 rad
    µ=0.30

3. The attempt at a solution
    please see attached for attempts at solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    I think that my assumption that force of friction (Ff ) is equal to µdN is wrong. I am not sure how to determine what dN is in this problem. If anybody has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    Ok I have realized that the motor produces torque M and ΣM about G =0, T2*r-T1*r=0 (See attachment in post #1 for FB)

If you set M=T2*r-T2*r this will be when incipient slipping of the belt is about to occur. Using this with T1=T2*e^(µß) we have two equations and two unknowns. Solve for the unkowns!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook