Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Benard convection as heat engine

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    I'm interested in a deeper understanding of Rayleigh-Benard convection that occurs when a shallow dish of water is heated from below. I more or less follow the derivation of convection cells using the Boussinesq approximation. But the resulting velocity distribution is so symmetrical that I can't see where the work necessary to generate and maintain the cyclic motion comes from.

It would seem that each fluid element must act as a tiny heat engine, although not necessarily following a Carnot cycle. But with a highly symmetric velocity and temperature distribution, and the assumption that density is a function of temperature, it looks like the course of an individual fluid element on a V-p diagram would enclose zero area. That is, no net work is done by the fluid element.

Anyone know of a treatment of this problem that takes thermodynamics into account?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted