Bend a Laser Beam - Learn How It's Done

In summary, a laser beam can be bent by filling a see-through water tank with a saturated salt solution and then pointing the laser beam at the tank.
Omid
Bending a laser beam ?!

I was surfing the web when I encountered this photo:

http://www.ieav.cta.br/soldagem/LASER%20verde.gif [Broken]

I can only read English and Persian, unfortunately the page was in another language I can't get even a word of it. Anyway I'm badly interested to know a bit about the picture.
What is it? A laser? How did they bent it this way?
Please help me to know that. For God's sake :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Looks like a fiber optic to me :)

Yes, it looks like fiber optics cable

The page is in Portuguese, a brazilian site about special welding processes. The page doesn't say anything of the picture...

The name of the image (LASER verde.gif) means "green laser". But yes it looks as a fiber optic.

Oh my!
You know how many jilions of different thought have been at the top of my head? I thought of anything except this one, the most obvious thing.
Thanks God. I didn't go to library in order to research about "Bending Laser Beams". :D

Thank you very much. You saved me a great deal of time.

You can bend a laser beam though - we do it in the lab.

Make up a saturated salt solution and put it about an inch and a half deep in a see-through water tank (such as a fish tank). Then, VERY CAREFULLY, fill the tank up through a rubber U tube that has its opening pointing upwards at the water surface level. Add a little flouroscene (or milk powder) to the water to make it show up later on..

If you do this well enough, you get a solution with mostly water, floating on top of salt solution. You then point a laser beam at the tank and the beam can be pointing slightly up as it enters, but then bend right down to the bottom of the tank!

Fantastic experiment that always gets gasps and wows from the pupils at our College!

Adrian Baker said:
You can bend a laser beam though - we do it in the lab.

Make up a saturated salt solution and put it about an inch and a half deep in a see-through water tank (such as a fish tank). Then, VERY CAREFULLY, fill the tank up through a rubber U tube that has its opening pointing upwards at the water surface level. Add a little flouroscene (or milk powder) to the water to make it show up later on..

If you do this well enough, you get a solution with mostly water, floating on top of salt solution. You then point a laser beam at the tank and the beam can be pointing slightly up as it enters, but then bend right down to the bottom of the tank!

Fantastic experiment that always gets gasps and wows from the pupils at our College!
I have done this with a sugar solution, if the conditions are correct the beam will under go a total reflection off of the bottom of the container and will exit on a path that is the mirror image of the entrance path... That is way cool!

1. How is a laser beam bent?

A laser beam can be bent by using a technique called refraction. This involves passing the beam through a material with a different refractive index, causing the light to change direction.

2. What materials can be used to bend a laser beam?

Materials with a high refractive index, such as glass or plastic, can be used to bend a laser beam. The specific material used will depend on the desired angle and precision of the bend.

3. Can any type of laser be bent?

Yes, any type of laser beam can be bent using the refraction technique. However, the intensity and wavelength of the laser may affect the angle and precision of the bend.

4. What is the purpose of bending a laser beam?

Bending a laser beam can be useful for directing the beam to a specific location or for creating complex patterns. It is commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications such as laser cutting and holography.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when bending a laser beam?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate eye protection when working with lasers to prevent any potential eye damage. It is also important to ensure that the laser is properly aligned and the bending material is stable to avoid any accidents.