1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bending andtransverse loading

1. Dec 31, 2009 #1
    in a question i am solving, i am asked to plot the stress in a beam as a function of the moment,
    but as far as i know, or at least in all the other questions i have solved, i have been asked to plot the strains/stress as a function of my placement (y). could this be a mistake or is this a legitimate question to ask,
    when plotting sigma(m) do i take y as a constant, then i will have a linear graph and my slant will be -Y/(I) ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That question is a bit vague, I'm not sure if they are asking about how the maximum stresses change in a beam as the moment changes along its length; or whether they are asking how the stress varies at a given cross section of the beam where the Moment is constant and the stress varies as function of the y distance from the fibers to the neutral axis (stress = +/- My/I.). Please clarify.

4. Dec 31, 2009 #3
    stress at a given cross sectioײ as a function of M

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At a given cross section, the moment is constant for a given loading condition, and the stress varies as function of y, so I guess they are asking that if M were to change at a given cross section due to a different loading condition, how does the stress change at that cross section; in which case, you are correct that you get a straight line linear relationship between the moment at that cross section and the stress at a certain point in that cross section, where the slope of the line, passing through (0,0), is y/I , where y is the distance from the neutal axis to the point on the cross section in question. Whether the slope is + y/I or - y/I, is a matter of convention (stress generally considered positive in tension, negative in compression). Double the moment, you double the stress, etc.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. Dec 31, 2009 #5
    thanks, seemed a bit trivial to me, thought there must be something more to it, but you say not?

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never liked the question in the first place, so I'm just guessing at what it's looking for.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook