Bending distilled water with static electricity

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
Facepalm to myself! Why didn't I think of using an electroscope? Anyway, Nobel priiiiize, here we cooome!
umm. not even an ig i reckon! but, maybe you could try for a research grant from a toothbrush company, for i am not entirely convinced that 2nd paper (Electrical Deflection of Polar Liquid Streams: A Misunderstood Demonstration by Maryam Ziaei-Moayyed and Edward Goodman ) has covered all bases. for streams of droplets , ok, when the droplets separate from the end of the buret, or, whatever. they become charged and then deflected in the electric field, but, this mechanism does not transfer well to the case of a continuous fluid stream, where (as best i can tell from my own little experiments!) no charge separation is occurring, the stream is electrically neutral, yet it still deflects. ah well, happy xmas to all!

Last edited:
1. You cannot prepare water sample without ions - there will always be some H+ and OH- from water dissociation.
2. Pure dipolar fluids react to electric field as well. Even nonpolar ones will do, as they get polarized by the field. However there is a question how strong the field must be to get noticeable effect.