The Possibility of Making Objects Invisible Using Sound and Light

In summary, this group has discovered a way to bend sound around an object, but this is not true invisibility.
striker1649
I herd that a group has discoverd a way to bend sound around an object. Now if we can do that there is was to do that with light, right. So that would make that object invisible. Is this theory correct.

Science news on Phys.org
No, it isn't.

well if you learn how to bend light, dosent that mean you can bend light around an object and make it so you can't see that object.

Maybe you should start by first citing this "source" that you heard this news from. It is very difficult for the rest of us to figure out if (i) you heard it wrong (ii) you misinterpreted the news (iii) you heard some crackpottery or (iv) you imagined it.

Consider this to be something of an unofficial requirement for this forum. Anyone who wants the rest of us to comment on a piece of news should make a clear citation of the source. Or else, all of the subsequent discussion will be ambiguous, or even moot if the news itself was misinterpreted.

Zz.

Well, if you COULD bend light around an object and make it go straight when it is on the other side, you could in theory make the object invisible. The only problem is that there is no known way to do it.

you can curve light with strong electrical charges can't you?

I think that in order to make it invisible you would have to have something pulling the light away from it on one side so that no light is reflected of the object, and you would need something forcing the light back into its original path once its on the other side of the object. unless you can find a way to do that from every possible angle, it would only be invisible from a certain point by light hitting it at a certain angle.

maybe one day possible but I don't think it would be practical

Last edited:
striker1649 said:
well if you learn how to bend light, dosent that mean you can bend light around an object and make it so you can't see that object.
I think you might get more of a “double exposure” effect as light doesn’t block light.

Edgardo said:
Here's something I found on physicsweb.org:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/5/16
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/19/9/5/1
http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/10/12

Ulf Leonhardt's homepage:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ulf/

An article:
http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2006/10/cloakdemo.html

Video on youtube.com:

I was waiting for the OP to actually cite this as the source of this "bending" of light. I believe this issue has already been addressed somewhere on PF already.

If it is this "cloaking" effect, then it isn't a "bending" of light. The metamaterials used (i.e. the split-ring resonators) actually produces a material with a negative index of refraction. One of the uses of such a material is that it causes light to be refracted in the 'wrong' way. In this particular case, the light is absorbed and retransmitted by the material, much like what you have when light passes through glass. Thus, it appears as if the material itself is "invisible".

Note however that metamaterials like this only has a very, very narrow bandwidth where it behaves in this exotic fashion and only in a particular direction. So far this effect has been demonstrated for a particular frequency only in the microwave spectrum. The very fact that we CAN physically see the material with our own eyes means that it can't do this yet with visible frequencies.

However, if you look at the OP, you'll notice why I don't think this is what is being asked, or referred to (i.e. this is not 'sound' being bent).

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) How can sound and light be used to make objects invisible?

Sound and light can be used to make objects invisible through the use of various technologies such as metamaterials and cloaking devices. These technologies manipulate the way sound and light waves interact with an object, either by bending or redirecting them, making the object appear invisible to the human eye.

2) What is the current progress on creating invisible objects using sound and light?

The use of sound and light to make objects invisible is still in the early stages of research and development. While there have been some successful experiments and demonstrations, the technology is not yet advanced enough for practical applications. However, there is ongoing research and progress being made in this field.

3) Are there any limitations to using sound and light to make objects invisible?

Yes, there are limitations to this technology. The size and shape of the object being made invisible, as well as the type of sound and light waves being used, can affect the effectiveness of the invisibility. Additionally, the invisibility may only be effective from certain angles or in specific lighting conditions.

4) Can sound and light invisibility be used for military purposes?

While there have been discussions about the potential military applications of sound and light invisibility, there are currently no known uses for this technology in the military. The research and development of this technology is still in its early stages and its practical applications are still being explored.

5) Is it possible to make large objects, such as buildings, invisible using sound and light?

Theoretically, it is possible to make larger objects invisible using sound and light technology. However, the size and complexity of the object may make it more difficult to achieve complete invisibility. Additionally, the cost and feasibility of using this technology for very large objects may be a limiting factor.