Calculating Fixed End Moments with Uneven Beam Heights?

In summary, you have a problem with calculating the fixed end moment of a beam that is supported at joints A, B, C D and E. The member is 1.2 times higher than the height of the members AB, CD, and DE, so BC = 1.2h. You need to calculate the fixed end moment of CB and BC - which you are taking to be WLsq./12 - however you are unsure how the height element effects the caluclations.
seamie
Ok, so I have a problem as follows:

A beam is simply supported at joints A, B, C D and E.

there is a UDL acting on the BC member

The member is 6m long with a UDL of 60kn/m

However the tricky part is that this member is 1.2 times higher than the height of the members AB, CD, and DE.

So BC = 1.2h, AB = CD = DE = h

I need to calculate the FIXED END MOMENT of CB and BC - which I am taking to be WLsq./12 - however I am unsure how the height element effects the caluclations

the answer is not 180 - that does not fit with my MDM calculations - anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
seamie said:
The member is I need to calculate the FIXED END MOMENT of CB and BC - which I am taking to be WLsq./12 - however I am unsure how the height element effects the caluclations

the answer is not 180 - that does not fit with my MDM calculations - anyone got any ideas?
The answer IS 180...plus at one end and minus at the other...the height doesn't come into play until you start calculating the stiffness factors for your MDM analysis.

Hi there,

In that case i am making a mistake with my EI calculations - what effect does raising the member have?

the exact layout is:

Fixed End @ A -------B Simply Supported C Simply Supported D ----E @ E is a cantilever

BC to C is raised by 1.2h

Am i not still using 4EI/l at member BC and CB

Last edited:
seamie said:
Hi there,

In that case i am making a mistake with my EI calculations - what effect does raising the member have?
it increases its moment of inertia, which makes it stiffer
the exact layout is:

Fixed End @ A -------B Simply Supported C Simply Supported D ----E @ E is a cantilever

BC to C is raised by 1.2h

Am i not still using 4EI/l at member BC and CB
Oh heck it's been a long time...see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_distribution_method

are you there?

1. What is a Bending Moment Diagram in 3D?

A Bending Moment Diagram in 3D is a visual representation of the internal forces acting on a three-dimensional object. It shows the varying bending moments (or the tendency of a force to rotate an object) along the length of the object.

2. How is a Bending Moment Diagram in 3D different from a 2D Bending Moment Diagram?

A 3D Bending Moment Diagram takes into account the bending moments along all three axes (x, y, and z), while a 2D Bending Moment Diagram only shows the bending moments along two axes (usually x and y). This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the internal forces acting on the object.

3. Why is a Bending Moment Diagram in 3D important in engineering and design?

A Bending Moment Diagram in 3D is crucial in engineering and design as it helps engineers and designers understand the internal forces acting on a three-dimensional object. This information is essential in determining the structural integrity and stability of the object, and can also aid in identifying potential weak points or areas of stress.

4. How is a Bending Moment Diagram in 3D created?

A Bending Moment Diagram in 3D is typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Engineers and designers input the dimensions and materials of the object, and the software calculates the internal forces and creates a visual representation of the bending moments along all three axes.

5. Can a Bending Moment Diagram in 3D be used for all types of objects?

Yes, a 3D Bending Moment Diagram can be used for any three-dimensional object, regardless of its shape or size. However, it is most commonly used for beams, columns, and other structural elements in buildings and bridges.