1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Moment Diagram

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-3-16_19-6-8.png
    Hi I need help with drawing a bending moment diagram for this structure. All joints are rigid and it's fixed to the ground. I'm really struggling with this. I initially started with the horizontal beam (statically indeterminate) and found that the moments at the ends were FL/8 (ccw on left, and cw on right) and that F/2 was applied up at each end of the beam. However, this is not the correct answer! Also this answer doesn't give the correct answer for the vertical beams. I really don't know how to do this.

2. Relevant equations
    d2v/ dx2 = -M (helps with statically indeterminate beams but this is not the only way to deal with them but I like this method and this is how I calculated the FL/8's)

3. The attempt at a solution
    as above

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2
    Your equation isn't complete.

Can you show your work on how you derived FL/8?

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    Hi

For a fixed-fixed beam only, there are BMs of FL/8 - this is a standard result. It would take pages + pages to show this, but it starts from the fact that d2v/dx2 = -M. Fl/8 isn't correct here in this structure.

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4
    You are right the beam is not fixed-fixed but your equation is not quite correct.

Do you know the stiffness matrix for a beam element?

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5
    Hi
    I know nothing about stiffness etc. - only each beam is L length and the same as the others.

7. Mar 17, 2015 #6
    Generally the bending moment will be a function of the members' stiffness for a statically indeterminate frame. If all the members have the same stiffness (EI) then the term simply cancels out.

So you can use this method or you could do a moment distribution method. Have you studied either of these methods?

8. Mar 17, 2015 #7
    Hi
    The only method I've ever used for 1 statically indeterminate beam is to do EI * d2v/dx2 = -M. I just don't know where to start on this one. If I was given one horizontal beam, fixed at both ends, then using this method I'd get moments of F*L /8 at the ends

9. Mar 17, 2015 #8
    OK, this will be a long process starting from such a basic formula.

The first step I would recommend is to simplify the problem using the symmetry of the frame and leave just two degrees of freedom.

The 2nd step I would recommend is to derive two equations from these two degrees of freedom.

Do you happen to know any formulae that cover the following conditions:

1) for beam fixed-pinned with a moment M at the pinned end - formula for dv/dx at pinned end?
    2) for beam fixed-fixed with a displacement v at one end - formula for M at ends?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted