1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending moments and torsion

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    for the folowing beam made up of a top half where E=210Gpa and a bottom part where E=70Gpa a=0.2m t=0.024m, b=0.04m
    1.JPG

i am asked a few different things

a)to find the shear forces and bending moment arrays in the beam
    Capture.JPG

b)plot the normal stress as a function of the moment,

how do i do this? surely the normal stress is a function of Y, otherwise i would just use "sigma=-y*M/I" i have already found I so assuming i found the correct I i would just have a linear graph with a slant of -y/I
    is this correct?? is this a common thing to be asked, i have only ever seen sigma plotted against y ???

c) given that P=1KN, find the shear flow at points a,b ??
    is shear flow not only for torsion?? is there torsion in this problem if the forces P are applied at the center of the top of the bar-pure bending-?? is this a trick question??

d) will the size of the shear strain at these points a,b change if the bar is turned upside down??
    again, are there shear strains in pure bending? i think not??

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?