Help with Bending Moment Diagrams

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with understanding bending moments and diagrams without reactionary forces provided. The person asking for help has missed a lesson and is seeking assistance in understanding the problem by providing an image. The response suggests finding the reaction at the other end by summing moments about one end.
Drg App
Bending moments Help!

Hi guys, didnt really know how the layout of a bending moment diagram would fit under the standard template provided so i'll have a bash at explaining the problem.

On my school course i have been doing bending moments/diagrams and shear force diagrams, but a few days ago we were given a new type of question without the reactionary forces provided and as i had an urgent dentist appointment i missed the lesson...we are not off college for 2 weeks and i was wondering if you could be of some help if i posted an image of the question - thus giving me a better idea and understanding of how to answer the question.

i have attached the image of it.

thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN4849.jpg
    DSCN4849.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org

For a beam in equilibrium,
- the sum of all forces in the y direction must equal zero
- the sum of all forces in the x direction must equal zero, which is not required for this problem
- the sum of all moments about any point must equal zero

Try summing moments about one end, to determine the reaction at the other end. Please show an attempt at your work.

1. What is a bending moment diagram?

A bending moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces acting on a beam or structure, caused by external forces or loads. It shows the distribution of bending moments along the length of the beam.

2. How do I calculate bending moments?

Bending moments can be calculated using the formula M = F x d, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the point of support to the point where the force is applied. It is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of the applied forces when calculating bending moments.

3. What is the purpose of a bending moment diagram?

The purpose of a bending moment diagram is to analyze the internal forces and stresses in a beam or structure, which is important for designing and constructing safe and efficient structures. It can also help engineers determine the maximum load a structure can withstand.

4. How do I draw a bending moment diagram?

To draw a bending moment diagram, you will need to follow these steps:1. Determine the support reactions at each end of the beam.2. Calculate the bending moment at each point along the beam using the formula M = F x d.3. Plot the bending moments on a horizontal axis, with the distance from the end of the beam on the vertical axis.4. Connect the points to create a smooth curve.5. Label the diagram with the values of the bending moments at key points.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a bending moment diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a bending moment diagram include:- Not considering the direction of the applied forces when calculating bending moments.- Not properly labeling the diagram with the values of the bending moments.- Not including the correct units for the bending moments.- Not using a consistent scale for the horizontal and vertical axes.