1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Moments

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    Hi, I've got a little problem with a bending moment question.

Here it is (really sorry for the bad diagram!)

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/7844/help15eu.jpg

R1 and R2 are reactional forces, which using moments I have calcualted to be:

R1=110kN
    R2=141kN

Section A of the beam is a mild steel beam, section B can be presumed to have infinite strength (i.e. all of the bending is taken by section A).

The value of 1000 x 9.81 is the weight of section A, do I take this into account in the bending moment diagrams?

How do I go about drawing the diagram for this, here are two possibilities:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/4135/help25cc.jpg

In (b), I have said that section B can be treated as a wall, with a moment produced by the forces to the left of the wall.

I need to calculate the maximum bending stress in section A.

Any help would be amazing!

Hope I've made any sense, if you need any more info, just ask.

Thanks a lot, Oli.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2
    so in the first part. up until the length of B ends. it will be a flat line at 0 on the bending moment diagram. it pretty much doesnt exist for all our purposes... i did double check your reaction forces and those are fine.

first you need to draw the sheer force diagram. i like option b since we are treating the section B like a wall. so we start with a 0 up until that point where B ends. then at 1.1m from the left.. youll have a force. since it is a wall. there will be a reaction sheer and moment force.. youll have to calculate those.. just pretend B doesnt exist and A is attached to a wall.. those are simple calculations.. then go through and map out the forces that go up/down like the reaction Y from the wall, 100*9.81, R2 and R1.. you SHOULD end up at 0 at the end of the beam. then just go through and calculate the area under the curve for each section of the Sheer diagram and thatll give you a moment diagram.. and the highest moment force you get throughout the beam. thats the force you use for the maximum bending stress calculations.

if that doesnt make sense send me a PM and ill show you more in depth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?